CHAPTER THIRTEEN - June 2173 - Solaris / Kraptis

CHAPTER THIRTEENJune 2173Solaris / Kraptis

...Solaris...

Zeb' Zeptre closed his eyes as he concentrated on an approaching presence he had sensed. It was the assistant to the Osolieus council representative on the Confederation Council based here on Solaris. The assistant that was secretly feeding him information from the council meetings.

He opened his eyes again. "Go and let the osolite in," he said as he started changing into the osolite form.

Tor' Thrum hovered to the entrance and opened the door before the osolite could knock.

Ufeitvip Acvo'atoeb was no longer surprised by this. He was used to it after twelve weeks of having to report to the two floating clouds he despised almost as much as his boss. He walked in, remaining silent until he stood before Zeb' Zeptre.

"You have something for me?" said Zeb' Zeptre.

"Yes, sir. A report from the Aramite, Zuma and Varso systems." Ufeitvip could feel the presence of Tor' Thrum behind him but kept his eyes on Zeb' Zeptre.

"Go ahead."

"The grelites and tranchillions have blockaded all three systems, sir. I think it is in response to your blockades of Fermur and Tripitar."

"Really. Thank you for your opinion. How many ships have they sent?"

"Sixteen, sir. Two for each StarGate."

"Have you heard anything about why they have blockaded these systems?"

"As I said — it is in response to your blockades of..."

"Is that official or your opinion?"

Ufeitvip tried to bury his anger at being interrupted. He knew from experience not to upset the varsoomian. "It's not official, sir."

"Is there any news about the grelites?"

"They are persistent, sir. Through a couple of intermediaries, I have sent them after a false target. If they go in heavy, they will sort out a problem for us. If not, hopefully they will have at least weakened them."

"Who have you sent them after?"

"Well, they think it will be you, but the Troduce Cartel will be the ones getting a grelite headache."

"Very good. I would have to sort them myself eventually. Is there anything else?"

"No, sir."

"Okay. Keep your ears open for developments about either of these problems. I will want to know immediately. You may go." Zeb' Zeptre enjoyed the feeling of fear, mixed with anger, emanating from the osolite and smiled as he watched the awkward creature jerk away on his long, thin legs.

Zeb' Zeptre floated over to the large window that looked out over the city. He cast his gaze over buildings of varying shapes, heights and colours. From their current height the people of the capital looked like large ants moving around on the streets.

He looked at the oval senate building in the distance that towered over almost every other building within the city. One day soon, he thought. One day I will rule from there. He sensed Tor' Thrum moving towards him.

"Any ideas?" asked Zeb' Zeptre.

"About the blockades?"

"Yes."