Chapter 19

"Bucky. I'm fine. I'm checking in..." Jessica sighed as she talked to Bucky on the phone while she was out shopping for a present for Steve for his birthday. "You're being overbearing."

Bucky sighed, 'I know I am doll. I'm sorry. It's only been a few weeks since you were taken from us.'

"I know. I'll check in in a bit. Goodbye Buck." She hung up before he could say anything else. She walked through a few more stores before buying some lingerie. She walked around the mall, sighing as she noticed a guy coming up behind her. She felt his hand on her shoulder as she grabbed his hand, flipping him onto his back as he grunted, "who are you and why are you following me."

He groaned from the ground, "I'm sorry I startled you. Can you let me up please?"

Jessica looked around to see people watching her as she stepped away from him. "Sorry."

He nodded, standing up as he fixed his shirt, "are you Jessica Cooper?"

She sighed, crossing her arms, "yes. Why?"

He hesitated, "I um.. I'm Nick. Nick Baxter. I think I'm your brother."

She scoffed, "I don't have any siblings." She rolled her eyes as she walked away, hearing him following her.

"Your mother is Rebecca Cooper?"

She stopped, turning back to him, "yeah. Why?"

He sighed, "can we talk? She gave me up for adoption when she was 17. I recently looked up my file and found her information. I went to see her but she didn't want anything to do with me but she said I had a sister somewhere in New York and she gave me your name."

Jessica nodded, "she didn't want anything to do with you? Why are you here?"

He shrugged, "I was adopted by a nice couple, but I never had any siblings either. And I'm about to get married and have been thinking a lot about family and wanting to connect. Please. I just want to sit down and talk."

She sighed, "I don't know if I can trust you."

He nodded, "yeah. I get that..."

She hesitated, "okay. I'll take you to my place."

"Alone?"

She laughed, "we won't be alone."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessica opened the door, letting Nick in as she found Steve waiting for her.

Steve watched Jessica enter the suite followed by a dark haired man with soft blue eyes that reminded him of hers. "Who is this?"

She kissed Steve on the cheek before motioning to Nick, "my brother? I don't know."

Steve nodded, "uh huh."

Nick smiled as he held out his hand, "wait, are you Steve Rogers?"

Steve looked down at his hand, "yes."

Nick sighed, taking his hand back. "Look, I get it. Especially in today's age a random guy showing up saying they're your brother." He pulled out a paper from his pocket handing it to Jessica.

She opened it to find a copy of his birth certificate with her mother listed as his mother. She handed it to Steve, "I just don't know. Come on. I'll make you some coffee?"

Nick nodded as he followed her into the kitchen, sitting at the table.

She looked up at Steve as he entered the kitchen, "where is Bucky?"

He shrugged, "he went out, he said he'd be back soon." He sat across from Nick as he fiddled on his phone.

"So, are you two.. together?"

Jessica smiled at Nick as she set coffee in front of him and Steve. She sat next to Steve, "yes." She leaned on the table, "so you said you're getting married? Where are you from?"

He sighed, "well I was adopted in Washington, but we moved to Florida where I lived most my life. I moved to New York for work and stayed here."

She chuckled, "so you went to meet our mom in Washington just to be told to come back in New York?"

He laughed, "yes." He pulled out his phone, "as far as getting married, yeah." He brought up a picture of an attractive blonde holding a small baby, "this is my fiancé Melanie and my son, Bryce. We are getting married on New Year's Eve."

She smiled, "she's beautiful. And your son is adorable."

He smiled, taking his phone back, "thanks."

Steve sighed, "I had Natasha run him, he seems to be telling the truth. Since he was in the foster system for a while, his DNA was in the database and Bruce ran it against yours, and it seems you are siblings. He's 33, an accountant here in the city."

Jessica laughed, seeing the shocked look on Nick's face, "he's a little over protective." She rested her hand on Steve's, "thank you."

He nodded, "sorry." He looked at Nick, "never be too careful."

Nick laughed, "I get that. It's fine. You work fast."

Steve shrugged, "I have access to the Avengers."

Nick nodded, "right. Well, I don't want to overwhelm you. I just wanted to introduce myself. I just want the chance to get to know you."

Jessica smiled, "me too." She hesitated, "we're having a party here in a few days for Steve's 39th birthday. Why don't you bring your fiancé?"

Nick grinned, "really?"

She nodded, "yeah."

"I'd love that."

She stood up as he did, hugging him awkwardly. "It was nice meeting you Nick." She turned to see Bucky enter the kitchen.

"Who the hell is this?"

She chuckled, "this is my brother Nick. I'll explain later." She looked at Nick, "this is Sergeant James Barnes. Also over protective."

He laughed, "it's fine. Really. I'll see you in a few days."

Bucky stood by Jessica's side as he watched Nick leave, "your brother?"

She nodded, grabbing his hand, "yeah."