37.

V O T E + C O M M E M T

"Talia!" Yami yelled throughout Talia's Houston home as she closed the front door. "Are you home?" There was no response from Talia, causing Yami to wonder if she was out. For Yami's sake, she hoped that she was. Yami decided to check around, and from what she saw on her phone, Talia was still at home.

Yami walked her way through the home, hoping that Talia was just in the shower and not in distress, as Sophie claimed. She wasn't upstairs or anywhere else in the house, but when Yami made it to the living room, she found her. It was as if all of the life had left Yami's body once she saw her best friend laying on the living room floor, bloodied, bruised, and practically lifeless, holding onto what seemed to be her babies. "Oh my god!" Yami panicked, dropping to her knees beside Talia's body on the ground. "Talia, Talia!" Yami yelled, trying to shake her awake, but there was no response.

Yami's heart raced as she called 911, tears streaming down her face, while trying desperately to shake her friend awake. Praying that help would arrive in time to save Talia and her babies. "911, what is your emergency?"

Yami's voice trembled as she spoke into the phone: "My friend and her babies are hurt; my friend is unconscious, and she gave birth to her twins; one is breathing, and the other isn't. Please send an ambulance immediately!" Panic consumed her as she anxiously awaited a response from the emergency operator, desperately hoping that help would arrive in time to save Talia and her newborns.

"Ok, ma'am, I need you to check if your friend and the babies have a pulse." She heard the operator's calm voice on the other end of the line ask her. Yami tried to stay composed, but tears streamed down her face as she watched over Talia and prayed for a miracle.

Yami carefully placed her trembling fingers on Talia's wrist, feeling for any sign of a pulse. "My friend has one, but it's weak." Yami's voice trembled as she relayed the information to the operator, her heart sinking with each passing second. With bated breath, she repeated the same gesture for each of the newborns. Her son lay on her chest, while her daughter rested in the crook of her arm.

The baby boy was still, and Yami's heart sank with every passing second; she couldn't detect a pulse.  But she didn't give up. As she continued to search for his pulse, she finally felt a faint thumping against her fingertips. "Her son has a pulse," she said, her voice cracking. "But please hurry; they need help; there's so much blood."

"What's your name, honey?"

"Yami."

"Yami My name is Hanna, and I'm here with you, alright, and the ambulance is on its way."

"My friend's pulse is very weak, and I can't feel one for her daughter." Yami's eyes filled with tears as she spoke to the operator.

"I need you to give the baby CPR." The operator's voice was urgent and firm.

"I don't know how to do that." Yami cried.

"Don't worry, I'll guide you through it, Yami. Just stay on the line with me and listen carefully. Place the baby on a flat surface and tilt her head back slightly." Hanna instructed, making sure Yami understood the importance of keeping calm. "Now, cover her nose and mouth with your mouth and give her two gentle breaths. Then, place two fingers in the center of her chest and press down firmly. Keep doing this until help arrives." Yami followed Hanna's instructions as best she could, praying for a positive outcome.