Chapter Thirteen: Olivia

Immediately, everyone broke her command of 'no cellphones and earbuds' rule to dig through their Spotify and iTunes, mouths moving silently, trying to speed memorize lyrics. Next to me Jessie was- and I only know this cause he hates Why Don't We- scrolling through someone else's Spotify playlist.

"Have any idea what you're gonna do?"

I swear he jumped out of his chair.

In a vain attempt to appear nonchalant, he just nodded, running a hand through his already messy hair. Then he looked back down at his phone.

Out of the corner of my eye, I glanced at Christian. He hadn't gotten his phone out, wasn't doing anything except staring at the ceiling.

Typical.

Maybe I should've talked to him or asked if he needed help, but I didn't. It's not like it would've mattered anyway.

The teacher clapped once, electronics were put away and the class really began.

xxx

As to be expected, the first couple people mainly sang new pop songs. Olivia Rodrigo, Taylor Swift, Conan Grey. I wasn't really paying attention, to be honest. I was just counting down until my turn.

Even though we were wearing blindfolds, I knew when Jessie went up.

There was a longer gap of silence, and I could just picture him standing there, messing with his rings or his hair. After about a solid minute of silence, he finally started singing.

"I'm in Toronto and I got this view

But I might as well be in a hotel room,

It doesn't matter 'cause I'm so consumed

Spending all my nights reading texts from you

Oh, I'm good at keepin' my distance

I know that you're the feelin' I'm missing

You know that I hate to admit it

But everything means nothin' if I can't have you

I can't write one song that's not about you

Can't drink without thinkin' about you

Is it too late to tell you that

Everything means nothing if I can't have you?

I can't write one song that's not about you

Can't drink without thinkin' about you

Is it too late to tell you that

Everything means nothing if I can't have you?

I'm so sorry that my timing's off

But I can't move on if we're still gonna talk

Is it wrong for me to not want half?

I want all of you, all the strings attached

Oh, I'm good at keepin' my distance

I know that you're the feelin' I'm missing

You know that I hate to admit it

But everything means nothin' if I can't have you-"

Although we were only supposed to sing for a minute, which I think means the first verse and chorus, he sand the whole song. Which was okay, because literally every person did.

Once he finished-nailing the last high note I might add- I felt someone tap my shoulder. I pulled off my blindfold and walked up onto the 'stage'.

When I got up in front of the class, I finally understood why Jes was silent for so long. Even with everyone wearing blindfolds, I still felt strangely exposed.

I had already chosen a song, but standing there I suddenly hated it. Going into panic mode, my brain just started mentally going through every song I had ever heard.

Amnesia was still stuck in my head, but if I sang that, Christian would know it was me up here, silent for however long its been. I don't know why that scared me but it did.

Slowly, I walked over to the piano. A couple other kids before me had done this, so hopefully the teacher wouldn't care one way or another.

It took me another minute to find the right key, but then it was easy as breathing.

No regrets is what we said

We can't go back again

Darling, nobody said that it would last forever

That doesn't mean we didn't try to get there

I never said that we would die together

That doesn't mean it was a lie, remember

Nobody said that it would last forever

Head in my hands, cold coffee on the table

Wish you the best, I would if I was able

Morning light, it stings a little

Out of my mind, I don't remember calling

Had too much tonic wine, sometimes it does the talking

Hope you know I wish you all the love you're looking for-

Nobody said that it would last forever

That doesn't mean we didn't try to get there

I never said that we would die together

That doesn't mean it was a lie

They'll never take those long summer days

When love was untamed

Two burning hearts are dared to break, remember

Nobody said that it would last forever

That was it. The last note played, and I was smiling so much, I probably would've scared someone. Slowly, I walked back to my seat, careful not to trip over something. (Don't ask, its happened)

I did it.

xxx

The last half-dozen people or so past in a monotonous way. A girl sang another Olivia Rodrigo song- something about deja vu I think- and another sang something called She Used To Be Mine. There was a couple guys too, one of them sang Starting Line by Luke Hemmings. It was pretty good, but that's all I really noticed about it. I almost didn't even notice when the bell rang, Jessie had to smack the back of my head to get me to move. Taking off the blindfold, I walked behind him and Chris as we returned them to the teacher and left.