Chapter (V)

────────────────────────

Jackson - 2 years ago
(First year in Jackson)

"Hey kiddo" Joel said as he spotted the girl, she was helping Maria move some of the heavy fruit and vegetable crates to the kitchens, the fresh stock had just come in and there was a lot.

She dumped the crate onto the box stack her and Maria had made with a thump. Taking a dramatic breath to push the blood back down from her nearly purple face.

"Hey Joel. Man, these boxes are he-vy" Ellie breathed whipping her head, a motion to show her wiping non existent sweat on her forehead dramatically, 

Joel chuckled a little at the girls antics, she had been helping out the people around Jackson since she had got here. Joel will always find her doing something to help out, and he was proud of that. Proud of her. But that's not what he came to talk about.

"A few of your friends were saying you were upset this morning" he stated, more of a question. But now, up close, he too could see the slight remainder of her once red puffy eyes. "Wanna talk about that?"

Joel watched as he saw Ellie's mood drop at rapid speed, she did attempt to cover it, but he knew Ellie, so it was difficult to hide.

She shrugged her shoulders, now focusing her stare on a very interesting piece of mud on the floor by Joel's feet. She was messing with her fingers as she thought back to this morning,

She had woken up from a horrible nightmare, set from when she was back in Boston. Right when Reese went to leave her, she dreamt she had turned and attacked her best friend.

She could feel it, her mind begging her to stop her actions as she ripped at Reeses skin uncontrollably. How her mind and her subconscious was begging her to stop doing it.

Ellie had awoke in sweat and uncontrollable tears. She hadn't had a nightmare that bad before. Or that real, but then her mind got thinking.

What if that had actually happened to Reese?

Maybe not by Ellie herself. But some other random infected that was just as out of control as Ellie felt. What if she was dead now, Ellie had been gone a year. Anything could happen in that time. What if—

"Hey" a snap of fingers brought Ellie from her thoughts, reminding her she was still at the farm and Joel was right in front of her, now trying to get her out of her dazed expression.