Chapter (II)

────────────────────────

Ellie was mad. Not at anyone else, she was mad at herself.

She gave herself away, she was going to destroy her only lasting friendship with her best friend because of how she felt. She would have no one if Reese left her, she would be alone. And that Ellie's worst fear, being alone.

She was sitting at the desk in their room scribbling down her thoughts into a old notebook Reese had recently given her. She had stolen it from one of the supply closets.

She was writing down all her thoughts, how she was feeling, how she could and couldn't control herself around Reese and how she was terrified of the unknown. She didn't know how Reese would react, what she would think.

I mean she gave me a smile right? That's good? She thought to herself.

Suddenly the room door opened and Ellie slammed her book shut and put it in the draw, but she didn't dare look back.

They both knew. They both knew that they knew. And it was a very loud and awkward silence that filled the room.

"Ellie..." Reese started "are you okay? You just ran off?"

Ellie took a moment before saying "I'm fine"

She didn't mean it to come out as hostile as it did, she just couldn't help it. She was angry at herself and so she took it out on Reese.

"Are you sur-"

"Yes Reese. Im sure." She sounded so blunt but she couldn't stop it, as much as she wanted to.

"Oh, okay" Reese sounded deflated, like Ellie had just shot her down and she was treading on eggshells.

"Is there anything I can do, are you feeling sick? I can get you some wate-"

"I'm fine! Just back off Reese!" She shouted spinning around on her chair to face a saddened Reese. She couldn't look at her, she didn't want to see the damage she knew she just caused so she turned around and started out the window.

Ellie heard Reese head into the bathroom to change, and then exit and slide into bed. It was only when she knew Reese was asleep did she get changed herself and head to bed.

But she didn't sleep, her mind was racing and was far to busy to fall asleep.

——

Later that night Reese was awoken but a loud thud, and an whining 'ouch'

"Riley?" She heard Ellie speak, this made her shoot up out of bed. Spinning to see the girl she had just heard off,

"Holy shit! Riley?!" Reese said shocked, noticing the scene before her. Riley on the floor with Ellie holding her small knife out as if Riley was a threat.

"I landed on my hip" Riley groaned, standing up from where Ellie had tossed her to the floor.

"What the hell, I thought I was bitten" Ellie said rubbing her neck, where Riley had recently faked biting,

"I know, it was kind of awesome" she snickered,

Reese got an understanding of what was happening, and watched as Ellie put her knife away,

"We haven't seen you, in- I don't even know how long" Reese stood up, gesturing to herself and Ellie,

"45 days" Riley replied almost immediately "well— 46 technically, wanna know what Iv been up to" she asked the 2, but they were both too overwhelmed by seeing there supposedly dead friend in their room.

"All this time, I thought- no- we thought you were dead" Ellie said softly, still shocked,

"Yeah" Riley sighed, before she grabbed a chain from around her neck and handed it to Ellie "look"

Reese came over to stand beside Ellie examining the chain, both noticed the obvious firefly symbol on it. When Reese reached and flipped it over, Riley's name was imprinted on the back.

"No way" Ellie murdered to herself,

"Your a firefly" Reese stated more than questioned, Riley just shrugged as her response.

Ellie quickly raced to the door, opening it to check no one was outside.

"What are you doing?" Riley asked her as she closed the door,

"I'm making sure we don't get caught with a firefly in our room" she huffed,

"Here congrats" Ellie shoved the chain into Riley's hand, not before she grasped it and stopped her from backing away. Reese now stood next to Ellie and they were pissed,

She better have a good explanation. Reese thought,

"We cool?" Riley asked, Ellie scoffed and Reese shook her read with annoyance.

"Are we cool?" Reese repeated incredulously,

"I disappeared and your mad" Riley confirmed, Ellie just scoffed a 'yeah'

"And- I owe you both an explanation" she continued, "let's get out of here and I'll tell you about it"

"Hate to break it to you Riley, but Iv got extra practice. Was late for Mr Jonas. So Iv got to go in like-" she checked the clock, eyes widening at the time "now, I'll get changed at gym. Iv got to go" she sighed as she went to leave, but before closing the door she spoke again,

"Oh, Riley. It good to see you're okay" she smiled, receiving one in return before spinning on her heal and sprinting to the gym hall.

────────────────────────