5.

- Let us be thankful for what we have

- Let us be thankful for what we have. -

CW: mention of suicide and drug usage, light violence, light self harming, tiny bit of tension between the two.

James listened intently to the man on the other line of the phone while pacing back and forth in his bedroom. He started to regret visiting the island and be an ocean apart from the importance of his work. It started to itch all the way from the toes to the fingertips from the disturbing situation. The family friend mainly wanted to ask about how James was feeling and how he thought about seeing the house in person, but Tony Stark forgot about that quickly. Numbers were at the end more important to him and easier to understand.
Instead, they were talking about the next mission they were planning on the darker side of the law firm. Despite his father being gone, he needed to realize the fact that he needed to keep the legacy going.

Criminality didn't take consideration of the dead, it didn't take vacations or breaks. It was one of the first things James learned when taking after George three months ago. When the Barnes family lives turned upside down. James remember the day when he'd found his fathers body so clearly. How his visit to the parents house felt different, colder and stiffer. Something was definitely wrong. If there was a god, he owned his life to him that not Rebecca and Winifred was home that day to be the first ones to witness the corps. It was brutal, the pale body looked like a manikin when laying inside the empty bathtub. His face was unrecognizable. Bloodshot eyes and face so purple from the rope that dug into the neck, digging its way through the flesh to block every chance for the air to maintain the breathing.

He overdosed they said, before he choked himself. Suicide, but why? George was happy, James thought at least. With his work and more important how much he loved his family was a true fact.

He wanted to believe it was suicide, but his mind and heart were trying to tell him something else. They'd for sure got many enemies from their work throughout the years, but the evidences were microscopic. He just wanted to believe it was suicide. For his family's sake.

" We managed to track Rumlow to Chicago. "

" And why do I have a feeling that it's not all you have to say? " He muttered, he could sense what was about to come, and it would definitely put him in a mood.

" We lost him, and since then, another young woman had gone missing in the city. "

James started to see black and he needed to pull himself up before disappearing into the pitch black hole. Because when he fell down, his own mother couldn't even recognize her own son. That's how he worked in the darker world, getting rid of every living proof of the real James. The caring, soft, humble and loving.