2

After a day spent in his room with Karl, George has to attend a dinner.

He changes into a fresh pair of clothes and leaves his room. The halls are fairly empty as he walks through them alone. He finds everyone but Dream seated at a table in the dining room. He takes a seat next to his mother, frowning when he realizes that the only other seat left empty is next to him.

"Dream will be here shortly," Queen Catherine says, waving a hand to a servant, who comes to pour wine into her glass. "He tends to take his time."

With what? George doesn't bother entertaining the thought, and traces his index finger along the pattern engraved in his fork.

The servant walks around pouring drinks. Dark wine stains the clear glass of George's glass and he takes a drink, holding in an annoyed sigh. Dream has yet to show up, and it's been nearly fifteen minutes.

"Anna, did Dream say what he was doing?" King Leo asks, impatient.

Anna shakes her head, shyly keeping her gaze on her palms in her lap. She sits across from George. Within moments, Dream shows up. George can feel him stiffen when he notices the seating arrangement.

As Dream sits down, he says tersely, "My apologies for being late."

His voice is deeper, George notes, but he supposes his is as well. The last time they had talked was when they were young sixteen-year-olds with cracking voices.

"Do you have an excuse?" King Leo questions, gaze hard.

Queen Catherine sets a hand on King Leo's hand, which lies on the table, and murmurs, "Dear, leave him be. He's just shy."

Dream stiffens, and George holds back a laugh. He can feel Dream's glare on the side of his head. Taking another sip of his wine, George smirks. A servant reaches between them to fill Dream's glass, temporarily cutting their view of each other.

When the servant steps away, George looks at Dream, whose eyes are narrowed, a muscle feathering in his jaw. Their glares don't lessen when food is piled on plates in front of them.

"You two will become friends, I hope," Queen Catherine comments.

George breaks their stare off to look at Dream's mother, eyes neutral. King Adrian questions, "Right, George?"

George purses his lips, glancing at his father. King Leo adds, "Right, Dream?"

They both subtly nod, but George has no plans of befriending Dream. As their families smile and start a new conversation, George mutters to Dream, his words hissing, "I'm aware of your reputation and I have no intentions of forming any kind of relationship, friendship or otherwise, with you."

Dream scoffs, his fork twirling in his noodles. "Likewise," he grits out, keeping his gaze ahead.

George looks up to find Anna looking between them. Her amused look is washed away within moments of having George's attention, and she takes on an indifferent expression, eating quietly.

Subjects are tossed around the table. Families―parents―talk about their lives, from their personal matters to the welfare of their kingdoms. Eventually, George and Dream are dragged into the conversation.

"Our sons will be great leaders when their time comes," Kind Adrian comments.

"Indeed," Queen Catherine replies, "Dream has progressed excellently since boarding school. He's grown to become a sensible young man." She pauses before adding, "George certainly looks like a prince."

Queen Helen rests her hand atop George's hand for a moment, saying fondly, "He's finally grown into his ears."

"Mother," George whispers, betrayed. Annoyance grows in his chest when Dream snickers.

"Mhm," Dream mother agrees. "I was worried Dream would never grow into his long legs, but I can proudly say he is almost taller than Adrian."

It's Dream's turn to flush red, and George lets out a soft laugh. Dream kicks him under the table, earning a glare from George.

"I don't think he's grown into his nose," George adds to the conversation, spiteful. It's a lie; Dream's nose fits him perfectly, suiting his appealing features. George wants to get under Dream's skin to piss him off.

"George is still clumsy," Dream snipes, "look at the way he slouches in his chair."

"Yeah, well Dream―" George is cut off when his mother says, "Let's not be rude, darling. Dream has a good nose."

He gives his mother an incredulous look. Dream's mother adds, "And George isn't slouching, Dream. His posture is perfect."

George and Dream go quiet, still stiff in anger. They don't speak another word to each other the rest of that dinner.

~

After the food has been scraped from their plates and their glasses are empty, the table starts to clear. George and Dream leave first, and when they walk together, George remembers that their rooms are across from each other.

Dream realizes this slowly as well, distancing himself from George. They walk in deafening silence. On the way, they cross paths with Karl.

"George!" Karl greets, smiling. His smile fades when he sees Dream. "Prince George," Karl corrects, "nice to see you." He turns to Dream and bows, "Prince Dream."

"Who are you?" Dream questions, eyes narrowed.

"Prince George's servant," Karl says, dipping his chin. His gaze stays on the floor.

Dream looks at George, sneering, "He behaves better than you, though the bar isn't high. You set it pretty low, don't you?"

George's lip curls and his chin lifts. "Fuck off, Dream."

Dream grins, malicious. His eyes drop to George's neck. "Who did that?" George narrows his eyes, knowing exactly what Dream is referring to. The scar on his collarbone, courtesy of Dream. Dream smirks. "Oh wait."

"Why don't you go and piss your bed," George snaps, bringing back one of Dream's embarrassing stories.

"You're so annoying. Shut up," Dream says, fists curled.

"Make me."

"Don't test me," Dream warns and his eyes sharpen.

"Or what?" George challenges.

Karl clears his throat, shifting on his feet. He stands between them, awkwardly looking from George to Dream, who glare at each other. George had forgotten about his friend and gives Karl an apologetic look.

Dream rolls his eyes and walks to his room, saying over his shoulder, "I hope you die in your sleep."

"You first," George retorts.

Dream flips him off before his door slams, leaving George with curled fists. Karl blinks slowly and looks away from Dream's door to stare openly at George.

"What the fuck was that?" Karl asks, shocked.

"That was Dream," George mutters as his shoulders relax out of Dream's presence.

Karl swallows, rubbing his arm. "That seemed... really tense."

George looks at his friend incredulously. "I've been waiting seven years to say all that to him."

"Yeah, I can tell," Karl replies, still stunned. "I― honestly, I was expecting something else. That was... uhm, wow."

George huffs and walks toward his room. Karl says, "Uh, well, good night, George. I hope you don't die in your sleep."

Laughing softly, George says, "Thanks, Karl. Sleep well."

As George closes the door, he barely catches Karl's slow whisper, "What the fuck."

That night, George sleeps well out of spite towards the prince who sleeps across from him. He dreams of ways to get his revenge after the messy scar Dream left on his collarbone.

------------

a/n - my school ends in two weeks and I'm so hyped

peace out <3