23

George wakes first the next morning, a heavy arm wrapped around his bare stomach. Dream's nose is nestled in George's neck, breathing sleepily. George lies on his back as he stares at the ceiling with a soft smile.

That smile slowly fades, though, as George realizes he has to leave. With reluctance, he pries Dream's arm off him, careful not to wake him. He gets dressed, eyes finding Dream all the while. He looks peaceful when he sleeps, gentle.

George takes a moment to memorize the lines of Dream's face. He studies the muscles of Dream's back. He paints an image in his mind. One to never be forgotten.

He walks forward to brush a lock of hair off Dream's forehead, whispering, "I'll always love you."

The words fall upon sleeping ears, going unheard.

George leaves the room, his chest tight. He crosses the hall to enter his own room and changes into clothes that don't smell of the ocean. His bags are already packed, and all but one have been loaded in the carriage. He grabs his last bag as he leaves, closing his door for the last time.

His eyes are drawn to Dream's door for a moment. Flashes of tangled limbs and hot breaths echo in his mind. George forces himself to leave.

So, in the early hours of the morning, George left Takenshire with Karl. He'd like to say he didn't look back, but he did. Multiple times.

Every time was just as painful.

~

A week later, he arrives in his home, greeted by the mournful faces of his people and family.

His mother's funeral is reserved for those closest to her, and goes as George hoped. He'd like to say it's beautiful, but he can't lie. Funerals have never been beautiful to him.

A week later, things are running better than things a week before. It isn't long before George resumes his castle duties as prince. He has yet to confess what he did to Karl, who has told him everything about Sapnap.

A month passes, and George has yet to receive a letter from Dream. He convinces himself that he doesn't care. He did tell Dream that he didn't have to write if he chose not to. But does that mean Dream wants to forget him?

George will never know.

Well, that's until Karl arrives at his door one day with a letter sealed with an unmistakable wax crest.

George opens the letter in the confines of his room. He forgets to breathe, hands shaking as he unfolds the letter. It's a couple pages long, and George immediately places the handwriting, scrawled like chicken scratch.

His mind wants to read the entire thing at once, but he forces himself to breathe and read one sentence at a time.

To the highly esteemed Princess George,

George lets out a scoff, but a smile graces his lips.

I've spent weeks trying to figure out what to put in this letter, but I think I should just write and see what happens. No use in stressing so much.

Although, I am writing to the biggest love of my life. I want every word to be perfect for you, but I can't promise you'll like everything I have to say.

I'll start with this: George, I hope your mother's funeral went well. Well, as well as a funeral can go. I hope you've made your peace and you feel better. I wish I could've attended, but you left without saying goodbye.

I don't hate you for that, I could never hate you. I do wish you had woken me before you left, so I could look at you one last time. I want to memorize you. I don't ever want to forget you.