14

a/n - I found a playlist for this chapter on YouTube. look up "dark royalty core aesthetic playlist" - it's by oliviaalee and I highly recommend it for this chapter(especially for the dancing part bc I wrote this while listening to that playlist). happy reading! :)

-------------

George stands in front of his mirror, unsure of what to say.

His suit is colored blue, so dark it's almost black. Whorls of intricate patterns weave up his shirt and suit coat, threaded with gold. His suit coat drapes lower in the back, and his sleeves are cuffed, but it's not uncomfortable. He does keep one button undone at his neck, though, not wanting the fabric to rub at his throat. His hands are gloved, kept a simple dark blue.

His mask covers the area around his eyes and nose, and is fastened around his head, so he doesn't have to hold it up. It's dark blue, like his outfit, and the patterns of gold are designed to match his suit.

George has combed his hair, but he doesn't like the way it looks, so he ruffles it slightly. A gold crown, lighter than what he's used to, sits among his dark hair, matching the gold in his outfit.

He leaves his room, escorted by three guards as he walks to the ballroom. Nerves coil in his stomach; he doesn't remember the last time he's been at an event with so many important people.

The point of a masquerade is to hide one's identity. It's part of the thrill of the event, but George thinks it's useless because so many new royals will be here. How is he going to remember their names when a mask covers half or their entire face?

George keeps a neutral composure as he enters the ballroom. Only he can sense his nerves. The guards behind him leave once George is in an area with hundreds of people, and George descends the stairs.

He keeps one hand on the rail, afraid he might trip. As he walks down the stairs, nerves claw up his throat. George scans the ballroom, noticing the pairs that dance to the music. Some stand off to the sigh, sipping on wine or enjoying the food left out for any to take. He sees people with ornate masks, some with simple masks, some donning the look of an animal, some with hauntingly beautiful designs.

George's eyes try to consume it all at once, but he fails, at awe with the beauty of it all. When his feet leave the last step, a young woman is at his side.

She wears a burgundy dress with silver patterns of flowers. She holds her mask over her caramel eyes. A silver crown, similar to George's, rests upon a crown of blond braids. Her mask is shaped like an owl, speckled with silver gems. After a moment of hesitation from George, the princess rolls her eyes and removes her mask for a moment, whispering, "It's me, George. Anna!"

George relaxes immediately, giving her an amused look. "There's no way I'll be able to remember everyone's names like this."

Anna shrugs. "Everyone here is basically a copy: they all want to dance with those who are wealthier and possibly find a suitor. I've had several offers already," she mutters, giving George a bored sigh. "I don't want to marry these pompous assholes."

"You could just say you're a witch," George whispers, grinning.

Anna's eyes light up, but they dim after a moment. "My mother would kill me... Ugh, I hate living in the richest kingdom."

George mutters his assent; his kingdom isn't far behind Anna's. Nerves hit him once more. Are royals going to flock to him because of that fact?

His thoughts sidetrack when Anna nudges him in his side, pointing. "There's Dream." She grins devilishly as George's eyes widen. "Doesn't he look handsome?"

George wants to ask Anna a question, but she's gone within a moment. His gaze darts back to Dream, who chats with a royal wearing a beautiful pink dress. He doesn't look enthused, but George can't look away from Dream's outfit.