19

A week later, he's stepping out of his carriage. His chest is tight and his heart is stone cold.

Karl was his only company on the trip, and now stands a step behind George. George can feel the tension in the air, tangible as it is.

George walks up the steps, able to see the royal family in his field of vision, but he doesn't look at them directly. Once in front of them, he bows.

Dream stands in the middle, his parents on either side of him, and Anna and Fundy by their sides. The first thing he notices about Dream is his glare. It's familiar, albeit surprising. George doesn't mind the anger between each of them. Old habits die hard, isn't that right?

"Welcome back, Prince George," Dream says stiffly, as if he'd prefer to be somewhere else.

"It is an honor to be here again," George replies with equal stiffness. He says what his mother would want him to say. "I am honored to be the one who will crown you."

"I hope your mother gets better soon," Queen Catherine says softly. George swears he sees a flicker in Dream's eyes. "Congratulations on a sister. Does she look like you?"

George softens slightly. "Maude is a replica of my mother with the hair of my father."

He notices Dream's anger fades somewhat, but the prince says nothing. Queen Catherine says, "I'm sure she's beautiful."

George nods and turns to King Leo to hear him say, "Unfortunately, there were problems locating the coronation crown that my lineage has worn, so the coronation has been delayed. We only found out a few days ago."

George's heart drops. "How long will the delay be?"

"Until we find the crown," the king replies with a kind smile.

George forces a smile, going through the motions as the group breaks up. He doesn't catch Dream's stare and walks with Karl to his room.

Upon arrival, Karl says, "I'm sorry that the ceremony has been delayed. I know you wanted to return to your mother."

George tosses his crown onto the dresser, sighing. "Me too, Karl, me too."

As George sits on his bed, Karl comments, "Dream... he seems..."

"Angry?" George mutters. "Annoyed? Still the same as always? Yeah, I noticed."

"I thought things changed the last time we were here," Karl says with a sigh as he sits across from George.

"They did," George mutters, "until I broke whatever was between us, and now things are back to before."

"Would you prefer it to be this way?"

George pauses, conflicted. He replies with conviction, "Yes, I'd rather hate him than anything else."

Karl doesn't reply, frowning. George decides to switch the topic, "Well, now that we're here, you can see Sapnap again."

Karl's frown fades instantly, turning into a blush. "I haven't told you, but we've been writing to each other."

George's jaw drops. "What? Since when? Tell me everything."

~

Late that night, George can't sleep. He tosses and turns in his bed, trying to force his mind to shut off, but he can't stop thinking. So, he goes for a short walk.

George ends up heading to the kitchen, eager for one of the cookies that the baker always has set out. He finds the baked goods where they always are and takes one with a grin.

His grin falls, though, when he hears near silent footsteps. George braces himself and turns around, chin lifted as he glares at Dream.

Dream's expression is neutral, indifferent as he mutters, "I should've known you'd be here."