40

Within our friend group —Ada, Daphne, Lyra, Pansy, and myself— certain dynamics made it challenging for some of us to get along smoothly (read: Pansy and I).

While we all had our moments of pure bitchiness, the times when we did manage to function as a coherent unit generally revolved around discussions about boys.

I took a bite of my croissant, tuning out the girls' conversation as it morphed into background noise.

They were all swooning over a fifth-year Ravenclaw with warm brown hair, a guy who I personally didn't find remotely attractive.

Daphne, however, was positively beaming as she recounted her interactions with him.

My gaze shifted from the group, wandering across the Great Hall, just as my eyes locked onto Malfoy's.

He was surrounded by a cluster of Durmstrangs again, his silver gaze focused on me.

I couldn't decide if it was creepy or oddly flattering to be the constant subject of someone's scrutiny.

A smile I couldn't suppress stretched across my lips.

Perhaps I was still riding the afterglow from yesterday. What I had told him then, I meant wholeheartedly.

When he was genuinely sweet, it had a way of thawing my heart faster than ice in the sun.

Potter

Amelia

Oi

Suddenly, Ada nudged me in the side. "Amelia."

I turned back to the girls, and their expectant stares met me.

"Is there something you'd like to share with us?" Daphne quirked an eyebrow, her smirk revealing that she was onto something.

I swallowed, forcing the smile off my face as I took another bite of my croissant. "Nothing to share."

"Oh, come on, we don't keep secrets about boys from each other." Ada chimed in, curiosity lacing her words.

I furrowed my brows, attempting to appear oblivious. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Parkinson chimed in with a mocking tone. "So you're going to pretend you weren't just grinning stupidly and ignoring your name being called multiple times, all while staring in that direction." She gestured with a nod towards where I knew Malfoy was sitting.

A tense silence hung in the air, and it was clear that I was expected to say something.

"Just tell them, Amelia." Lyra said, a casual tone belying her seemingly intentional provocation.

What was she doing? We never discussed keeping Malfoy and me a secret, but it felt like that was a given.

"What?" I blurted out, shaking my head slightly.

"So you're aware of Amelia's secret crush too?" Daphne inquired, amusement in her voice.

I shot Lyra a displeased look. She knew the unspoken rule, didn't she? We didn't talk about it. Or maybe that was too obvious.

"Come on, Amelia, dish it out." Ada urged, a mischievous grin playing on her lips.

Again, I found myself rendered speechless.

"Well, if you're not gonna tell them, I will." Lyra said, adjusting herself in her seat, "His name was Yordan, right?"

Dumbfounded, I stared at Lyra as I struggled to comprehend what she had just revealed.

"He's a Durmstrang and they've talked a few times." Lyra continued, a hint of amusement in her tone.

"Damn, Potter." Ada said, smirking. "Getting all shy for that?"