159

My words seemed to penetrate the darkness that had consumed him, igniting a spark of hope within his troubled soul.

"You...love me?" He whispered.

Tears streamed down my face, but this time they were tears of overwhelming joy and relief.

The depth of my love for him poured out in every word I spoke.

"I love you with all my heart."

My heart may not be whole anymore but the love I had for him was there nevertheless.

His grip on my hand tightened, his fingers entwining with mine as if he was desperately clinging to this newfound connection, this lifeline that offered a glimmer of redemption.

I reached out my other hand, offering it to him as well.

He looked at me, his eyes searching mine for any hint of doubt or hesitation.

But I had none to offer.

Slowly, hesitantly, Draco reached out and took my other hand, his grip firm and strong.

I took a deep breath, my heart pounding in my chest, and began to walk backwards away from the edge.

He hesitated, his grip on my hand faltering for a moment as he stared down into the endless darkness below as if it were calling out to him.

The tremors that racked his body were palpable, the weight of his choices threatening to pull him back into the void.

But I refused to let him go. Not now, not ever.

"Draco," I said, my voice soft but urgent.

As if in a trance, his gaze lifted from the abyss below and he looked at me.

"Keep your eyes on me." I whispered gently.

I took another step backwards, leading him away from the edge.

At a snail's pace but surely, Draco followed.

With our eyes locked in a silent understanding, we walked away from the edge, step by step.

When we were a few feet away from the edge, I came to a halt, my eyes never leaving his.

Then, I moved closer to him and let go of his hands to gently wrap my arms around him, pulling him close in a tender embrace.

"Don't ever do that again." I sniffled in his chest.

For a moment, Draco hesitated, his body tense with conflict. But cautiously he let his walls crumble and returned the embrace, burying his face in my shoulder.

The weight of his pain, regret, and fear pressed against me, but I held him tightly, determined to be a beacon of support and hope for him.

We stood there, locked in each other's arms, as if we were the only two souls in the universe.

The sound of our quiet sobs filled the air, mingling with the soft whispers of the wind.

With every passing second, the grip of despair loosened its hold on Draco's fragile heart.

The darkness that had threatened to engulf him began to recede, inch by inch, making room for the flickering light of hope.

"I'm so sorry." He choked out, his voice coloured with remorse and gratitude.

"You don't have to apologise." I replied, my voice tinged with love and understanding.

Draco pulled back slightly, his stormy grey eyes searching mine once again.