Chapter-9

Rajyashri

"Where are you taking me?" I asked as they streeled me callously through the still dark hallways.

"Where you belong" The woman replied and although her face was invisible in dark I could practically see the smirk she had.

"And where do I exactly belong? Pray, tell me" I demanded willing my feet to stop as I jerked my hand off of her.

"What do you think you're doing girl" The woman in green lehenga snapped halting in their track "You've been stupid enough to try escaping the royal palace already"

"I wish to know where I am being dragged to" Ignoring their jab I quired.

"And if we don't answer you?" The maroon one asked, her voice dipped in amusement.

"Then I will not come along" I stated. I had promised to accept my fate but not without fight. A voice inside me screamed how dense I was being but I refused to listen to it.

Both the ladies looked at each other before bursting into a deep howling. I clenched my lehenga tightly while my jaw tensed

"I'm sorry" The maroon managed to utter as she gasped for air before continuing "But you really think you are in any position to 'want' anything?" She again started laughing this time covering her mouth with her dupatta

The woman in green lehenga came closer to me, her lips curled up in a vicious smile "Don't laugh at this little girl Rekha" She trailed her forefinger down my face "She doesn't know what she had gotten herself into"

I turned my face away feeling sick at her touch. I could feel the terror at the pit of my stomach but the kshatriysni inside me didn't allow me to show it.

"Ranga will make sure she does, soon" Rekha yanked me to her through my elbow, the grip was much tighter and harsher than the previous one. Her eyes were smiling down at me mysteriously before she tugged me along her.
.
.
.
.

By the time we entered in an entirely new mansion which had been located far away from the main palace, the sun had already came out painting the sky in its colour of reds and oranges.

The distant sound of ghungru and veena grew stronger as we neared the main door.

"Tell Ranga we've brought the new girl" Lekha said the eunuch who looked at me from head to toe.

Her eyes expressing her dissatisfaction as she teared her gaze off of me before replying "She had already informed us, you may go inside"

As soon as she opened the door Rekha propelled me inside making me almost lose my balance as I stumbled forward silencing the whole room.

I stood on my feet properly before raising my eyes as it roved over the huge hall room. Women of many ages were scattered all over, some were sitting in front Veeenas, some in front of the mirror or some were simply standing.

My eyes halt in its track as soon as they landed on the woman in the silver throne. She was probably in her mid fifties, her curly silver hair was hanging lose and the black bindi she was wearing covered most of her forehead, there was something in her gaze that sent chills down my spine making my chest tightened.

She gradually stood up before stepping closer to me. Her eyes scrutinizing every pore of me, making me shift in discomfort and kept my gaze glued to the marble floor.

"Too pale, too thin" Her comment came in dismayed sigh.

"What's your name?" Her deep voice quired while I stayed silent before feeling her stepping even closer.