Morals vs Money

This is the fifth chapter of this fanfic! Here, Tex has the opportunity to either save the town, or his own life temporarily. I'll give you two guesses, as to which option he goes for! I hope that you guys like this chapter! 👍

—————

In Tex's office, Willy's Wonderland, present day ...

Tex Macadoo sweated nervously, as he smiled shakily at the two stern-faced law officers in front of him. Is it slightly cramped in here ... or is it just me? he thought.

The restaurant owner was sitting in a red armchair behind a wooden desk; facing the police like a weasel faces the dogs. A metal filing cabinet was propped against the wall next him; right by to a cartoon poster of Arty Alligator.

Purple walls surrounded the occupants; apart from one wall ... which was covered with video monitor screens. The screens showed live footage of the inside and outside of Willy's Wonderland.

Deputy Lund just scowled at Tex, carrying a pencil and sheet of paper in her hands ... ready to take notes. Sheriff Hobson then cleared his throat sharply.

"We got a report of a missing man from up here at Willy's", the male officer said curtly. "Family says he never came home after the party. He's been gone for over a week."

The white-suited businessman's smile got more nervous at that. His brow furrowed as he pondered the sheriff's words.

Party? A week ago ... oh yeah, I remember! There was that yobo who tried to smoke at that late-night party here.

I threw him out to let him sober up a little, and then got asked by Dommie (the green-shirted employee) if I'd moved the singing weasel and ...

...

Oh.

Tex mentally facepalmed at the realisation. Of course. It just HAD to be them!! Willy's Wonderland's famous mascot band, now possessed by murderers.

Jed had told the current restaurant owner months ago that he'd made the mechanical monsters promise to not go after the staff any more ... but it seemed like they'd found a loophole now. Willy Weasel definitely had, for one!

Jerry always struck me as a cunning guy. He wouldn't rest until he found a way out of that promise. Every promise; except the ones Jerry makes to his kid.

A short, sharp cough instantly recalled Tex's attention to the two now impatient police officers in his office. The white-suited businessman deliberately shrugged, trying to seem casual and not so conspicuously suspicious.

"So, what's that got to do with me?" he asked, trying to put on an air of confusion. Unfortunately, Tex wasn't good at lying ... and Deputy Lund wasn't an idiot (yet).

"That's the 5th missing person report we've taken since you opened", the sheriff's deputy said, rather tartly. "Maybe we can take a look at them video monitors you got all over the place?"

It was a rhetorical question, as the restaurant owner well knew.

The cops will go through them, regardless of what I say. And ... maybe that's a good thing?

The sudden thought was VERY tempting ... and seemed surprisingly reasonable. All that Tex had to do was to tell Hobson and Lund about the killer animatronics, and his troubles would be over!

They'd find a way to sort it out: banish the deadly spirits, clean things up ... and the restaurant owner could continue his current career! Without the constant danger to his precious life and limb hanging overhead daily!