02.

chapter two: lee taemin

one month later

THE HUSHED, MURMURING voices of excited students thrilled to know their exam results fill the school hall. Unfortunately, the acoustics are impeccable, so I can barely hear Fei over such noise.

"What did you say?" I ask, raising my voice slightly. It's like I'm fighting with these people in a game of who can speak the loudest.

"I said, well, asked, 'do you think you'll be coming first this time?'"

I nod, putting on my humblest face. "I'd like to think so. Things can change, of course, but they haven't since I've been here."

Being top of the class in not one, but all subjects has to have been one of the most satisfying things to have ever happened to me. Other students admire and look up to me. Teachers worship me.

Who wouldn't want that? Who would want it taken away from them?

"Alright, students!" The head of our form room yells and it immediately gets everyone's attention also instantaneously commanding silence. "Line up to sing Aegukka."

We sang it, all four voices. Our throats feel raw after we're done but it's finally all worth it when we finally get through the announcements to the big event.

Class by class, we all anticipate the positions, third to first place. Then, it's time for my class.

"In third position, we have, Yoo Seo Young!"

There are claps and there are cheers. My fingers grasp at my skirt and I wipe my sweaty palms down the front of my school sweater.

"In second position, we have, Lee Areum!"

What?

"There has to be some kind of mistake," Fei suggests.

No. They never make 'mistakes'.

It's as if all eyes are on me. I feel nauseous and a large, thick lump the size of a boulder feels lodged in my oesophagus.

I wish to cry, but I can't embarrass myself. Not here. Not in front of everyone. It's just so hard to accept. All my hard work, for nothing?

I wish to run away from the sharp, dagger-shaped eyes with their gazes slicing at my skin. But I need to know. Who dared to surpass me? No one else works as hard as me.

No one else is as good as me.

"And in first position, unexpectedly surpassing his entire class-"

His? It's a 'he'? But all the boys in our form are stupid, and that's not even just me saying it. They truly are known for horrendously flunking school.