24.

chapter twenty-four: i will die 4 u

TW: gore, death, blood, etc etc

"I DON'T THINK I can do that," I sigh, closing my eyes as I await any response. But there is nothing. Just silence.

I open them again to find her staring at the floor.

"So, I'm really not worth telling," She sighs, almost in a lamenting manner as she swings her feet pitifully.

"N-no it's not that, I jus-"

"Then why won't you just tell me? This is exactly what led to me cutting you off in the first place! This-this lack o-of trust is just on both sides, huh?" She exclaims suddenly.

It feels like a knife to the heart, but I'll get a real one soon if I continue the way I am right now.

"I need you to calm down-" I plead.

"Calm down? Why would I want to do that? I'm done accepting being ignored or shielded from everything! I'm an adult, for goodness' sake!" She cries.

People are starting to stare now. I walk closer so I can block the peripherals. "Shh. I get it."

"No, you don't." She sniffs.

"I-I do, I do. I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry I'm so untrustworthy and I keep on hiding things away from you. But I have to, or really bad things are going to happen."

"What rea-" Her voice is muffled by my hand clamping around her mouth. I wait for her to stop speaking before removing it again.

"I can't say. Just trust me, please." I plead.

"Fine." She says, after a moment of silence. But I know that look in her eyes. She's made a decision and now, I'm scared of it.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom." She says, picking up her handbag and phone and walking toward it.

I don't bother trying to chase her. I've observed her for long enough to know when she's made a decision, she never backs down.

Damn, how long has it been? I think to myself. Two years. I've been watching her for two whole years.

No wonder it was so easy to fall so hard.

Much to my surprise, she walks back out with a peaceful expression on her face. She feigns confusion at my puzzlement.