21.

chapter twenty-one: me and areum, areum and me

⋆。˚ ⋆

taemin - present-day

[TW: fainting, anxiety, a hot mess, words relating to !su1c1d3!]

WHEN I WALK into this building any other day, I feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. I've been here long enough to know and understand the whole 'Do all, feel null' policy we have. Get the job done, and receive your pay, all with your head down.

But today is different. It was never like this before, because I've never really had anyone to care for. Not in the way I do now. 

Not when there could have been a kid involved.

I scan my ID at the security area after they pat me down. As I walk down the hallway, Sarah, the 'receptionist' stops me with a tough hand to the shoulder.

"He needs to see you." She says solemnly. Those are the only words she states before handing me a printed letter. 

It's in, irritatingly, tiny font, with only a couple of sentences on it. These sentences are enough to strike both rage and panic in me as I make my way to his office as quickly as I can.

Once I get to his office, I push past the security in front of the door and push it open.

"I don't care what you have to say. I'm not doing it."

He raises his once-lowered head, a calm smile making its way to his face as he slowly lowers his pen.

"So he lives!" He comments mockingly. "After, how many was it- sixteen weeks, you show up and prove your mortality to me. Bravo!"

I shake my head briefly, stopping myself from getting distracted by his antics. I place the paper on his desk. "What the hell is this supposed to be? Some kind of sick threat?"

"Neither. It's just the same, damn job you were supposed to take care of FOUR MONTHS AGO!" He yells, each word reverberating in scope with his volume. It creeps onto me like a plethora of bricks. Probably makes you feel like a couple, too.

"I'm considering putting Wong on this instead." He says slowly, sitting back in his seat and reclining it so he can rest his feet on the desk.