19.

chapter nineteen: coward

I PLACE THE last set of boxes down with a sigh of relief, leaning my hips into a slow, upward thrust to relieve my slightly sore back.

I'd finally graduated and moved out, much to Johnny's disappointment. I wanted to go apartment hunting on my own, but Johnny (with the biggest smile on his face) informed me of the building he'd bought when I was fourteen. It's situated in Daegu, half close to the countryside, half close to the city. He says, and I quote, 'It depends on the angle you happen to be looking at it from and how sober you are.'

It had been painted an off-white colour, with a back garden he made me swear to look after. I had Taeyong help me plant a bonsai at the centre and three cherry blossom trees surrounding it, right next to the small pavilion.

Overall, and, as an additional bonus, it's three hours plus away from Seoul. Perfect.

I can't have things of the past disrupting me and my new progress.

Fei and Lucas are still in contact with me, but they still stay in Seoul. Ten, was, obviously, cut off and now remains referred to as 'he who will not be named'.

Taemin? I didn't bother with him after being discharged from the hospital.

The only bit of my past I have now is helping me set up a bed and TV unit while Jaemin rummages through my stash for snacks.

"I was thinking about us going out sometime. There's a cinema, bowling alley and a cafe house downtown," he says, kicking his feet up and scrolling through Netflix as Taeyong joins him with a tub of ice cream.

"Where'd you get that?"

"Does it matter?"

I roll my eyes and join in, taking the spoon every time he places it down.

Who knew my bully's boyfriend (well, ex-boyfriend) would become one of my now closest friends? A confidante, even?

We learned so much about each other in such a short amount of time. It was like we'd known each other for years.

He knew about Mia within two years and out of their five-year-long relationship. She was emotionally challenged and it shows. According to him, of course.

I offer no judgment, but she most definitely cheated. Plus, he sounds like he lowkey loved her.

At least we're away from it all now.

"I guess I could." I speculate out loud. "It sounds like fun. Anything to get this giant toddler to stop moping about."

Said person frowns at me while Jaemin snorts, amused.