Magic

No!Voldemort, Seventh!year

Ron couldn't keep his eyes off Harry's hands. He had some weird square pieces of parchment that he was constantly re-ordering in the most extravagant ways possible, flicking and twisting and turning while his eyes stared at the landscape flying past the train windows. He barely seemed to notice what he was doing.

After about an hour of Hermione making conversation, Ron finally snapped and asked, "look, Harry, mate, what on earth are you doing?"

Harry seemed to snap out of his daze, his eyes looking at Ron before a sly grin appeared on his face, "this?" He asked cheekily, holding up the strange pieces of parchment.

On Ron's left, Hermione sighed and placed her head in her hands.

"Yeah," Ron spoke, leaning forward to look at Harry, "what is it?"

"It's a pack of cards," Harry revealed the designs on one side by flicking the set until it resembled a fan, "they all have a slightly different design on and you can do some cool stuff, like," he turned the cards over so the other side was showing. A mass of blue stared up at Ron. "Pick a card, any card."

Harry had the strangest smile on his face as Ron reached out and grasped one, "this one?"

"Whatever card you want just don't show it to me."

Ron tugged the card from the pack and looked at it, "what am I supposed to do?"

"Look at the card and remember the shape and the number or letter in the corner," Harry told him and Ron did just that. He had a diamond and a seven. "Now, place it back in the deck."

He added the card again, "what was that supposed to do?"

Harry grinned, "now, I present to you, muggle magic," he pulled his wand from his pocket and handed it to Ron, "I promise you, I am not using actual magic to do any of this." He held up the deck of cards, the blue back showing, and began to shake it slowly. Ron watched avidly as he sped up shaking it until the mess of blue turned into something else. "Is this your card?"

Ron's mouth opened wide as yes, the diamond and the seven were right there. "What spell was that?"

"No spell," Harry said, placing the card back into the deck and re-ordered it again, "choose another card."

Ron did so eagerly. Heart and an A. He placed it back in the deck.

This time, Harry didn't hold the deck up to shake. Instead, he pulled a large schoolbook out of Hermione's bag and slammed the cards down on the top, "give me a page number."

Hermione groaned, "Harry? Really?"

"Give me a page number," he insisted.

She sighed, "twenty-two."

With a grin, he opened the book to reveal page twenty-two and there was Ron's card. "How do you do that?"

Harry took the card, added it back to the deck, and began to re-order them once more, "muggles can't do magic like we can so they use tricks and misdirection to make it look like they are actually doing magic."

Hermione let out a sigh, "apparently, instead of doing his schoolwork, Harry taught himself this instead."

"And I'm good at it, as well," he leaned forward and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear before seeming to pull a chocolate frog out from behind her head, "for you," he presented to Ron.

"Mate, that is so sick," Ron raved, wondering why on earth Hermione looked so done with the pair of them.

***