Chapter 70 ❆ Let Me Try

The trip back to the Temple was brief. Kaiser had arranged for their family's coach to bring us to the gates of the Temple, then asked the driver to park on the side to wait for our return.

Maun was in a foul mood the entire way, which made it harder for Kaiser to strike up a conversation under his constant glares. I felt bad for the guy since he did nothing wrong, but Maun did not have the most mature mind—not to mention he wasn't really the type to suppress his emotion. In this regard, Kaiser had no choice but to bear Maun's spite.

I assumed Elion would be in the Temple, but I recalled that we went out just a few hours ago, so it was also likely that Elion could be found elsewhere. However, we did part ways in the Temple, so I hoped I wouldn't have to go somewhere else to find him.

"Wow, it's been so long since I've been here..." Kaiser muttered. "I think the last time was during the examination for the accepting of disciples in my year. My last one was nearly three or four years ago, I think..."

"You didn't get accepted?"

"Haha! No. My qualifications were too poor—I mean, I at least did qualify in the top five. I did win a few rounds, but somehow, I always lose towards the end. Even more so, my opponents were really tough and monstrous. I got accepted in the Academy, though," Kaiser said.

Maun looked smug on the side, signing, "I came first, loser."

"What'd he say?" Kaiser asked.

"He said good for you."

"Oh, thank you...You both go here, right? I've heard you mention it a couple of times."

"Yep," I replied.

"How many tries did it take for you?"

"About once..." I said.

"You—how did you...Some people repeat every year and you—" He sighed. "Never mind."

"By the way, I have a friend who's coming to the Academy in the next semester. If by any chance I'm right about this, can I take this as an opportunity and have you help me take care of him?"

"I thought you'll throw in this help as an extra," he teased.

My lips twisted. "Right. Almost forgot about that...Then, I'll owe you another favor."

"I was just kidding. You're too serious and easy to bully," he said.

Maun was even more displeased with him.

"Just kidding. If you're right about this, I think I still owe it to you for giving me answers. My dad taught me not to owe too much debt of gratitude. Besides, isn't it just helping look out for someone? How hard can it be?"

"Well...s—he can be quite a handful. And his accent's rather thick. I'm afraid he's gonna get bullied."

"Who makes fun of people's accents?" Kaiser asked, tone full of disbelief.

"The ignorant and the intolerant," I said.

We finally arrived at the campsite. Kaiser was startled and had to stop by the mouth of the camp, perhaps not expecting this site before him.

"Thi—all these people." His gaze swept over the tents, the crowdedness. It was not a very comfortable place to live in if you would look at it from an outsider's perspective, but it wasn't dirty—and it was currently all these people could manage.

"There are more out there who hadn't been offered shelter," I replied. "All these people have been displaced from their homes, forced to flee, because their continent started on the very sickness we're seeing on your mother today. So I do hope I'm wrong."