Chapter 32 ❆ Candy

At Mistress Veronika's permission, we finally would be able to leave the Temple. We weren't used to the city yet, and I have only been here once in the past, though very recently. But that was only the case for me.

Being more familiar with the surroundings, Mistress Veronika initially wanted to escort us. Unexpectedly enough, it was Mistress Kora who came forward to do so in the end. We didn't know the reason why until he came out completely dressed like a woman.

"Why are you all dressed up, mistress?" I asked.

"Because I want to!" he said. "I feel very pretty like this. Why not?"

I chuckled. I bet many would be broken-hearted. Or perhaps it would be the total opposite.

From the beginning, Mistress Kora's voice didn't have very deep male characteristics. So even if he talked in his normal voice, it only sounded androgynous. Like he could either be a guy or girl. This impression would change depending on how he dressed or how he wanted others to perceive him.

He...was such a perfect gender-bender.

"Should we go, children?"

"Let's!" Erenol exclaimed.

We started to walk out of the Temple, greeting the monks we passed along the way.

Life in this place was really peaceful. The monks themselves held no malice, always full of understanding and sympathy. That did not mean they were pushovers either. Even if someone wanted to come forward to take advantage of them and cause trouble, they would have to bear the consequences.

"By the way, mistress. You have such perfect command of Lovardi. I don't recall you being from Lovarda though?" I asked.

"Oh." He flicked his wrist several times. "I learned it when I was younger...it was one of the reasons why I could come with you," he told us. "Naturally, we can't go to a place where we can't adapt. After all, we have to seamlessly blend with the people here!"

"Are we really, though?" I asked. "Aren't we calling a lot of attention to ourselves like this?"

"Worry not. Though your mistresses aren't together, we're all as tall and powerful as mountains!" he said. "This much is not an issue. Besides, the number of Temples around the continent are limited, so it is of no surprise that many young capable kids gather from many places to audition. It's not very strange. If you're calling attention to yourselves, others are too!"

Right. The matter with Black Flame being a young scion from a prestigious clan was a highlight—something that could not be ignored. Even if we wanted to take the spotlight from him, he stood out like a moon among the stars.

But then, there was Maun, an eclipse.

I shook my head with a sigh.

There were still many things I did not understand, but since the mistresses said not to worry about them for now, I wouldn't. It wasn't like I was capable of worrying about it at all, anyway. My strength was too lacking.

"What did you kids plan on going out for?"

"I think there's a lot of stuff to see in the bazaar," I said. "We went there last time."

"Oh...well, I might not be as good of a haggler like Veronika. So you might need to spend a bit of money!" Mistress Kora said. "I'm sure it won't be a lot of trouble for Evy since this kid is much richer than I am!"

I squinted. "You're kidding."

"How can I be? You can buy the whole bazaar and it won't make a dent!" he continued. "But you have to control your spending, so until you're of proper age, your capability to manage the funds will be limited!"