To Lose

Hello, I never thought I would post again! But here I am. Posting again...

As you can see the title of this chapter is To Lose which is the final closing book in what I wanted to be a Trilogy! I obviously (sadly, unfortunately) did not get to finish nor did I publish any more after 2018. So Hello if you are reading this! Welcome to 2022! Hahaha

Informally I am posting this chapter to help close out a story I never finished. I wrote this chapter in probably 2016 maybe to be posted in the future. Here I am posting it now with zero warning!

I hope somebody who has enjoyed my story can read this chapter and feel a sort of conclusion. This is a sad chapter and it might not make complete sense, because it's a small snippet of what I pictured Newt and "Main Character" being in The Death Cure. But picture this as Newt and "Main Character's" final goodbye around let's say page 200 something in the Death Cure!

If you guys like this let me know! I have a lot of random stuff like this in my drafts. I truly cannot finish the story as I am so far removed from keeping up with Maze runner things hahaha. But I hope somebody reading my story can feel a little better reading more of an "ending."

As always I love everyone who has taken the time to read my stories!

Brianne.

~~~~~~~~~

Brianne's POV.

I brought my gaze down to my hand. My fingers of the opposite hand slowly slid the circular band off of my ring finger.

This was it.

This was where it all ended. The ring that had once symbolized the unity of us was now a picture of our breaking marriage. The ring had left a darkened band around my finger where it had once resided; but yet I couldn't help but think that it had left an even darker mark around my heart.

I removed the ring from my left hand and threw it at Newt's feet. It bounced off the dusty ground with an almost inaudible thud and rolled in a circle until around and around until it finally settled.

Newt's expression didn't change; he didn't even look down, he stared intently at my face, "Was that supposed to make me stay?"

I shook my head, "No, it was meant to help me walk away."

"How's that working out for ya, love? You're still here."

"Not well," I answered, feeling my heart break, "I guess, I just thought that maybe without any connections to you, I would find this easier to do. I was wrong."

"You've never been good at letting go," Newt closed his eyes briefly. I could feel myself losing him, "Let me fix it. We can change. We can do better. I wanna save you." He mocked me.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm the one always holding on," Oddly, I felt the pieces of my long unfinished puzzle coming together. I had been warned about Newt, way back in the Glade, "People had told me a long time ago that I should stay far away from you."

"Why's that?"

"They said you're a Runner as if that was a bad thing to be."

"It was a bad thing," Newt visibly softened his expression, the lines on his forehead disappearing, "It bloody broke me. Running. But they'd say I wasn't cut out for the job. Too soft. Too broken. But what does that have to do with us now?"

"Because I agree I have a problem with holding on, but all you ever wanna do is run away," I knew my words were cutting, but I couldn't stop myself, "You let me go. Let me go just like you let go of yourself, just like you're letting go of your sanity now. Hell, it's worse than that— you left. Period. You left when you promised you would never leave me."