Chapter 1

~~~Author's Notes~~~

Hello, everybody! I'm so excited to post this, I've been working really hard on it. BUT OKAY, there was a lot of confusion with the Prologue.

I'm sorry, haha. I thought it was a good idea to throw that whole bit in there, but everyone got scared. NEWT IS NOT DEAD IN TST. So he will not be in dead in my TST fanfic.

I'm just gonna say that the Prologue I posted is the beginning of the Epilogue for To Live. Yes, I have it written already. SO I'm sorry if I confused everyone.

ANYWAY, I picked two people for my Positivity Jar, Kaitlynluvsanime. She's one of the nicest people ever (a female Newt haha) and she's really good at writing. Her TBS and Newt fanfics are so good.

And Whirlpool_7 who is also so nice and her Newt fanfiction has me in suspense. So you should totally check it out. :)

THAT'S IT FOR NOW GUYS. I like this chapter because I introduce a "new" tst character!!!! If you know who it is without reading, virtual pat on the back for you.

*I lowkey hate these little squiggly lines '~~~' but it's 'my thing' now so I have to do it :/*

~~~~~~~

~~~Third Person Pov~~~

"Please sit, Janson," Ava said, gesturing to an empty chair. She sat down in a much nicer and taller seat.

Janson knew what was coming, and he knew that Ava wasn't going to skirt around the problem. He needed to start talking now, "Chancellor, I can explain-" He started in a rushed voice.

"Shush," She whispered, holding one of her hands up to silence him. She leaned forward in her chair until her forearms were leaning on her desk, "I don't want to hear any of your excuses."

"But I-"

"Ah, but I don't care. I don't care about the why's or the how's or the when's," Ava tapped her fingers rhythmically against the wooden structure between them, "I don't know the ins and outs of your wrongdoings. Quite frankly, I don't plan on finding out what exactly you've done. But life is too fragile and short to fire hard workers."

"I'm not being fired?" Janson gasped.

"Not yet. I don't believe that what you did necessarily warrants an expulsion. A reprimand? Of course. But who am I to judge? I've never felt what you've felt. Maybe you thought you were doing something heroic at the time."

Janson flicked his eyes to the side, not understanding, but not wanting to argue or get himself into anymore trouble. He sneaked a subject into the experiment. What was heroic about that? What did the Chancellor think had happened?

"So I'm giving you a second chance. You'll be closely watched and not allowed anywhere near the control panels, but you'll still be here."

"Thank you."

"Just tell me, are you hiding anything else?" Ava questioned.

"No," Janson answered quickly, "I promise that there is nothing else I'm keeping from you."

"Okay, because although your punishment isn't harsh, there will be more severe consequences if you pull something like that at another time. The world is only getting worse. We don't have time to make mistakes. But family is never a mistake and that's why I'm letting this slide."

"I understand," Janson nodded. He didn't understand anything that she was saying. Ava knew about Newt?

"We should be on the same side, Janson," Ava commented, dismissing her worker with the wave of her hand, "I don't want to have to speak to you like this again."