To Lose: Volume 2

~~~Newt's Pov~~~

"Newt!" Someone shouted, "Newt!" They said again, clearly trying to catch my attention.

"Who's that? You know him?"

I mentally prepared myself to see anyone. Anger rippled through me, as I realized that it could be someone from the maze or WICKED. I swear to God if its one of my so called friends...

But when I turned to finally look, the person I saw wasn't at all who I'd expected to see.

"Is he from that place you came from?"

I didn't answer the question, "I'll meet up with you guys soon," I heard them walk away, leaving me alone in the alleyway. Well, almost alone.

"Janson," I said, my eyes narrowing, "What the hell are you doing here?"

The man still dressed in a lab coat walked closer to me. So that he was only a couple yards away, "I- I came to see you."

I inhaled the lingering smoke of the nearby fires, "If you think I'm coming back to WICKED then you're crazier than I am."

The man shook his head, "That's not why I'm here."

I inspected him suspiciously, "Then why are you here? How'd you know where I was?" I asked, angered by the fact that people were still tracking my every move.

He gave me a long look, an unidentifiable emotion settling over him, "I-I don't where to start."

I scrunched my face, wanting nothing more than to go back to my new friends. Why was WICKED searching for me anyway? Hadn't they done enough?

"What do you want from me? Come to get one last trial result? WICKED need me to sacrifice something else? Haven't you already taken everything?" I finally asked, "I can offer not even my sanity at this point."

"I'm not here because WICKED sent me. I came to see you on my own," He spoke slowly.

"Aha, WICKED doing charity visits now?"

"I needed to tell you something and I don't have much time." He ignored my previous sarcastic answer.

"What?" I asked, irritatedly, "What could it be?"

"Newt," Janson said, tears gathering in his eyes, as he took a few steps closer to me. I took a step back, "I-"

I was impatient.

"Look, I don't care. Bloody hell, I'm dying and I just want to be alone!" The rational part of my mind, screamed for me to listen to whatever it was that Ratman wanted to say to me. What if something happened to Brianne?

"I'm sorry," Janson finally spat out,  as if those words held so much weight to them.

I just gave him a blank stare, "What the hell's that about? You're sorry now?" My heart was pounding so fast. He was sorry? What had he done to Brianne? She must be dead. He killed her. WICKED killed her, "What have you done?"

I brought my hands to my chest, trying to steady myself and my heart and my thoughts. I had to listen. I couldn't spiral.

Hold on.

I have to hold on to this reality just a little longer.

"I haven't been honest with you."

"Has anyone at WICKED been honest with me?" Unbelievably, I laughed. It was the only thing keeping me grounded.

"No, I really haven't been honest with you. I've been keeping something from you," He said, running his hands over his face and through his hair.