Let's Get Ready To Rumble!

March 4, 2022

The 2022 FSU Horned Frog Challenge began with South Carolina arriving at the TCU Beach Courts at 6:15am. The Steinbrechers (Lauren and Casey), the Henchys (Michael and Ally), Sarah, Marc, and Sophia appeared at 6:45 with breakfast provisions for themselves and clear minds ready to take in the proceedings.

While South Carolina and Central Arkansas were warming up, the ancillary personnel for the tournament (official scorers, public address announcer, scoreboard operator, and referees) were in the makeshift commissary located inside the Recreation Center taking on ample amounts of caffeine in preparation for the 12-hour day in front of them. Hector and MaJo along with Michael wandered between the courts watching UCA's 4, 5, and 6 pairs doing some pepper drills while the Gamecocks' duos were engaged in serving practice. Sarah, Sophia, Kaylie, and Sutton were together, with the Horned Frogs' number 2 pair for tomorrow's duals (Sutton would be paired with Hailey Brockett for today's matches) giving their indoor sidekick and her multi-sport colleague a layout of the rules for beach matches and duals in particular. Meanwhile, Lauren, Marc, Casey, and Ally cruised around the perimeter watching the run-up to first serve, with Marc making voice notes as things came to mind.

Once the referees had taken the stands at each of their courts, the PA announcer announced the first dual would begin in five minutes, at which time the coaches for the Gamecocks and Sugar Bears handed in their official lineups.

South Carolina stumbled out of the gate, losing the first set at the 5s, but turned that match around to win in three, 19-21, 21-15, 15-13. At 4s, Central Arkansas shook off a 21-8 loss in Set One to force the match to three, where they succumbed to the Gamecocks, 15-8. Prior to the second half of the dual starting, Marc looked over his notes from the team rosters and did a little match comparison between the pairs of all six sides. Once the 1s, 2s, and 3s had gotten onto the court, South Carolina made easy work of the Sugar Bears, winning each of the matches in two sets to sweep the dual, 5-0.

South Carolina 5 Central Arkansas 0 (Skylar Allen/Abby Carroll def. Carol Barbosa/Faith Hasness, 21-15, 21-15; Lauren Wilcock/Peyton Gray def. Evelyn Griffith-Davis/Julia Oravec, 21-11, 21-15; Jillian Gleason/Whitley Ballard def. Ryenne Gepford/Kelsie Sager, 21-12, 21-17; Sophie Manson/Hannah Mackenhausen def. Payton Sproule/Kayla Cook, 21-8, 19-21, 15-8; Kaeli Crews/Sophie Bengoechea def. Bria Garmon/Marissa Gilmore, 19-21, 21-15, 15-13)

The day's second dual pitted Georgia State against Stetson. As the 4s, 5s, and 6s warmed up, Maddy, her partner Eden Hawes, and Dani came over to where Sarah and Marc were standing. After Dani and Sarah exchanged hugs, she broke the ice for Maddy and Eden with her.

Dani: Don't be such fraidy cats. Sarah doesn't bite, at least from what I heard at Convention from her and Marc.

Maddy's nose caused her to drift over toward Marc, with her hugging him in an attempt to inhale his scent.

Dani: What are you doing, fair maiden of MINE?!

Maddy: He smells so YUMMY!!!

Sarah: Sniff only, no scratching.

Eden chuckled at Sarah's pun, which allowed her to loosen up a bit around her.

Marc: I saw Maddy only played one of the matches at Tulane. Why?

Dani: She's been having ankle issues most of this past year, which I think got a bit exacerbated on New Year's Eve after having to sprint on the beach in an attempt to break up a fight between Reed and my dad, which really wasn't a fair one as Dad's 6'7". Let's say he's on the no-contact list until we're assured he is succeeding in rehab and is off the sauce for good. So what has you two down here in Texas?