19

-Alia Romano-

"Evret James was more than a friend. To many of us, he was like a brother. A son. A lover. He had that special place in our hearts that no one else could fill." I spoke out to the audience.

"For me, he was like a brother. We grew up together. After his parents died, mama and papa took him in, raised him like their own. He was probably the only person who single handedly could hurt my feelings just to make me feel better again." I let out a breathy laugh.

"But one thing Evret- one thing Ev didn't show many is his vulnerability. Truly, underneath the tough thick skin of a mafia son, he was this big teddy bear that just wanted cuddles."

"Ow! You're hurting me!" Evret whined as I pushed the cotton ball on his scraped hand.

"Oh you're being entirely over dramatic. Mama would be laughing at you right now." I laughed and continued.

Ev huffed and sat back against the mirror. His hands were scraped up after he fell off his bike while me and him were playing.

He was scared to tell mama... lord knew why. But I helped him clean up.

"A great soul was lost. And forever in mourning we shall be." I whispered.

I walked up to the casket and placed a kiss on the polished wood.

Taking a steadying breath, I walked back to my spot next to Matteo. The priest continued with his service as I tried to control my tears.

He's gone.

I sat down next to Matteo and slumped against him when he put an arm around my shoulder. To anyone, it would just look like a comforting hug from a friend.

Maria was next to me, her tears never ending, and it hurt me to see.

He's gone.

~

I walked up the stairs to my apartment, not feeling the need to take the elevator.

Matteo was right behind me.

I stumbled to my door and pushed the key in before letting it swing open. I wanted to fall. I wanted to die.

"You gonna be okay?" Matteo announced himself after the silence.

I turned to him, "No." I croak before another tear falls down my face.

He crossed the distance and pulled me into his arms. Without a second thought, I wrapped my legs around his waist as his hands provided support.

I dug my face into his neck and breathed in his scent. But it made me cry even more because Matteo and Evret used the same cologne.

He rubbed my back before kicking the door shut and walking to my couch.

With me under him, he peppered kisses all over my face, before eventually meeting my lips.

I let his mouth move against mine, because I needed a distraction. I needed a way to forget.

He pulled back and this gave me the time to admire how truly beautiful he was.

"I'm all alone now." I whispered. His face twisted in confusion even as I ran my hand through his hair, "Evret was the only person I had besides you guys. He was someone I met and not someone I knew since birth. I knew his story, how he got here. And now he's gone."

Matteo, if possible, held me closer to him.

I sobbed at how just mere days ago, he was sitting right here on my couch, eating the from the same bag of Cheetos that were clipped closed on the corner of my coffee table.