Chapter 17 - Leaving For Good

Liam’s P.O.V.

            I was sitting in the room with the young couple, Mr. and Mrs. Watson. They were really nice, and the more they talked, the more I thought about how life could be living with them. I could get away from Zayn, and completely forget that anything had ever happened. I could try to forget all the pain I felt.

            “How old are you Liam?”

            “I-I’m s-s-seventeen,” I managed to say, still wondering why they picked me.

            “How long have you been here?” Mrs. Watson asked, glancing over to me and reaching forward, placing her hand above mine. I flinched away.

            “Since I-I w-w-was e-eleven,” I said.

            “Do you want to come home with us?” She asked, a small smile playing on her lips. I looked into her eyes, trying to make sure she wasn’t lying.

            “W-W-Why d-d-d-do….” My stutter was being uncontrollable again, and I clenched my fists and bit my lip clenching my eyes shut and trying to avoid thinking of the way Zayn used to stroke my cheek and calm me down when I used to get this bad.

            “It’s okay, honey,” Mrs. Watson said, “Take your time,”

            “W-Why d-d-do you w-want to a-adopt m-me a-a-anyway?” I asked, my voice sounding small. Mr. and Mrs. Watson both smiled.

            “We think you look like you are ready to get out of here,” She said, her voice soft and kind.

            I was. I was so ready to get out. But what about everything I would be leaving behind? Everything I have ever owned, ever known, was here, at St. Xavier’s. Not to mention Harry, Louis, Niall, and Zayn….Zayn….

            Could I really leave them? Would I ever actually forget them?

            “You look hesitant,” Mr. Watson said.

            “M-My friends a-a-are all h-here,” I said softly, looking down to m lap.

            “They can come over on the weekends, honey,” Mrs. Watson said, “And as soon as they get out of this place, maybe they can move close to us. I wish we could adopt them all, but it just doesn’t work like that,”

            I nodded in understanding.

            “W-Will you h-h-hit m-me?” I asked.

            There was a long silent pause, and I looked up, hoping that they weren’t angry with me. But instead, I just met their shocked faces.