Why can't I change?

Mirabel was the same person she was a couple of weeks ago. Still the internally bitter, angsty 15-year-old she called herself. She was still the same angry, depressed, angsty teenager she was a week prior to their house falling apart.

Everyone else had changed, though. Camilo was quieter. He looked like he was thinking about something all the time, and had dark eyebags. They'd learned that he wasn't quite as energetic as he pretended he was. Antonio still got to see the same old Camilo. He claimed he was trying to ween him off of the personality he knew, but they all knew he felt obligated to protect Antonio.

Dolores was a lot less stiff and regal. She seemed willing to share some of her hobbies, instead of her normal "Listening to stuff" she pulled out. She even told them about some of the more traumatic experiences she had listened to. 

Pepa let herself feel her emotions. Isabela, Julieta, and Pepa had worked out a way to manage the town's food needs. Pepa would let herself feel her emotions, although the farmers would continue to plant stuff, just to see if it would work.

Isa was so much wilder, Luisa was surprisingly funny, Bruno had eased up to the family,  Abuela was getting better.

Mirabel was still the same person. Why couldn't she change? Abuela did it, why couldn't she?

Mirabel should be able to change. Her family only ignored her, they didn't make her do more than she could! It was the townspeople who were the real problem, and Bruno had gotten a double package with familial and townspeople problems, and he'd done just fine! After he went into hiding...

But Mirabel should have been able to get over everything.

She really couldn't, though.

She could pretend, though.