For Mirabel

Okay, serious trigger warning. I'm kinda scared of what i just wrote. 

The basic idea, Julieta is destroying her mother's mental stability. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Dark!Julieta

Julieta was in the kitchen, She'd just eaten dinner with her family, and she was washing the plates while making another emergency batch of empanadas for the night. She wasn't expecting anyone to come down, other than her husband who was putting Mirabel to sleep. It had been a day since the disastrous ceremony, and they'd found out this morning that Bruno had disappeared into the night. All in all, today was emotionally exhausting, and Julieta couldn't process anything anymore, so when she heard footsteps behind her, she'd assumed it was Agustin. When she turned around, however, she was surprised to see her mother.

"Hola mama. Did you need something?" Julieta's voice sounded distant, but her mother didn't seem to notice that.

"I've made a decision" The seriousness of Alma's voice made her turn around

"Mirabel is to live with Agustin's family in the village"

It took Julieta longer than it should have to process that. When she did, however, the protective motherly instinct she'd had ever since she gazed into her eldest's eyes flared up.

"No" Julieta's voice was ice cold, but the anger that was in her eyes was burning holes into Alma's shawl. 

"Julieta, as long as you are under my roof-"

"Madre, as long as you're talking about my daughter, you can't make decisions like that"

"Julieta Madrigal, do not interrupt your mother. You will respect and obey my decisions as long as you are under my roof"

"Then I won't be," Julieta hated that she was about to exploit the weakness she'd vowed to keep a secret. She wasn't the only one who could see the pain in her mother's eyes, her siblings could too. However, she was the only one who knew why it was there. Because it disappeared when Julieta did something right. When she and her siblings stuck together, Alma watching over them.

But that wasn't the point. Julieta would do anything for her daughter, including standing up to her mother (although she was too late for her brother)

"I can leave, right now. I can take Isabela and Luisa with me. In fact, I might just take all the children. We'll all leave you, mama. I'll ruin everything you've been working for. Do you really want that for your miracle? You can't afford to lose your entire family, can you? Would it break your old fragile already broken heart?"Julieta could feel the tears filling her eyes. She really really didn't want to do this. For Mirabel, for Mirabel

"Papa died for this family" For Mirabel, for Mirabel "You can't lose the miracle now. "For Mirabel, "You've already lost Bruno" for Mirabel "Not after what he's done"For Mirabel

Alma turned away. 

"Fine. Do what you must, but this girl will not distract you from your duties" Julieta was too tired to argue. 

"Of course. I'll talk to Pepa tomorrow. I might not be able to raise my daughter properly, But together, Me and Pepa will never make the same mistake you did"

Julieta left her mother in the dark, unlit kitchen with a pile of unwashed dishes. 

Over the years she convinced herself it was for Mirabel.

It didn't hit her until after the house crumbled how much safer Mirabel would have been if she'd just let Alma give her to Agustin's family.