Foul Mood

DAXTON

"Sir, okay lang po kayo?"

I lifted my head and realized Leslie was staring at me.

"What?" I drew my brows, thinking of why I hadn't seen her when she walked in. She avoided my eyes when she saw me watching her.

"S-Sorry, Sir, I w-was just asking if you're okay kasi kanina pa po kayo nakatingin sa hawak niyong ballpen." Mataman kong tinitigan ang salitang nakaukit sa ballpen. Daxton Reed Salguero. At gaya ng dati, hindi ko maiwasan ang mapangiti.

My gaze darted to Leslie, and I immediately felt bad, listening to her sputtering around her words. I was a jerk not only to her but to all the people that had surrounded me the past week. I had always been in a bad mood the day after my birthday.

"I'm okay. I'm just thinking about something. Is there anything you need?"

Nanlaki ang mga mata niya nang tapunan ko siya ng ngiti.

"Leslie, you needed something?" ulit ko ng hindi siya sumagot. Tulala lang siyang nakatitig sa akin.

"Um, w-wala, Sir. Gusto ko lang sana itanong kung gusto niyo po na ipaghanda ko kayo ng kape."

Umiling ako. "No, I'm okay. Thanks for asking."

Napakurap- kurap siya ng ilang beses habang hindi inaalis ang tingin sa akin. "Okay, Sir."

Humakbang siya paatras at tatalikod na sana ng tawagin ko siya ulit. Napatigil siya at nilingon ako, nagtatanong ng mga mata. "Sorry for being a jerk the past week."

I felt more remorseful when her body stilled, gaping at me as if I'd grown two heads. I tilted my head to the side, raised my brows, and grinned at her when she just stood there on her spot, not moving.

Nang mahimasmasan ay isang tipid na ngiti ang sumilay sa mga labi niya. "It's okay, Sir. No harm done."

Tinanguan niya ako bago siya tumalikod at tahimik na lumabas ng opisina ko. Shifting, I picked the pen that Savanna gave me and blew out a breath.

This past week has been like a roller coaster ride that swept right through me.

* * *

FLASHBACK...

"Did she or did she not?"

I was sulking in my office, talking to myself like I was a crazy human being. I was looking forward to this, and I believed Savanna knew what the occasion was today.

Two weeks ago, I was walking out of my office when I overheard Leslie and Liam discussing what she could give me on my birthday. I made a peek outside the door and caught Savanna standing quietly next to Liam, listening to them talking. Hindi ko naiwasan mapangiti. One greeting from her would make my day complete.

Yes, I am damn easy. Just for her.

I was excited this day had arrived. I felt there was nothing that could taint my mood.

I rhythmically tapped my fingers on my desk and glanced at my watch for the nth time. For every hour that passed by, I couldn't help but gaze at the door and expect Savanna to show up, wishing me a happy birthday. I went into her office earlier just to check if she would say something, but nothing.