Fever

"Well, as long as the mechanical and electrical engineers followed our instructions, there would be no need for us to revise the working drawings," I informed Mauve. We were in the BSI's conference room, having a meeting about the Hope Eco tropical resort.

"Okay, but how about the fire protection layout? The mechanical engineer wants to make the fire tank bigger?" naiinis na tanong niya.

The deadline for the architectural plans of Hope was on Friday, but she and the consultants were arguing about the location of the utilities. If Mauve agreed to the new location, she and her team would have to revise the plans again, which would take a week. Wala sanang problema but the client wanted us to finish all the plans on Friday, which was three days from now.

"Tell them to recheck the computations and inform them that there's no available area for the bigger tank," sagot naman ni Liam.

Tumango si Mauve. "Okay. One more thing, the electrical engineer is requesting us to make an electrical room in the clubhouse—"

The sound of my phone ringing interrupted her. I checked the display and saw an unknown number.

"Excuse me," I told them and touched the screen with my thumb. "Hello."

"Savanna?"

Nagsalubong ang mga kilay ko. "Yes?"

"It's Daxton."

Napakurap ako for a variety of reasons. Una, it was weird that Daxton would call me. Why? Because he never did. Pangalawa, I was thinking baka namali lang ako ng dinig, and it wasn't really him.

"Come again?"

"It's Daxton."

Hindi ako nagkamali ng dinig. It was really Daxton!

My breath caught in my throat.

"How did you get my number?"

"From Leslie. Where are you?"

"In my office at BSI? Why?"

"Can you bring the DSI plans for the penthouse here at my pad today?"

Mas lalong kumunot ang noo ko. "Pad? You're not in the office?"

Narinig ko siyang bumuntong hininga. "I'm not feeling well today. Can you do it?"

I didn't want to see him right now. Hindi ko pa rin nakakalimutan ang kahihiyan na sinapit ko three days ago nang mahuli niya akong kinakausap ang sarili sa may balcony. It was also the reason I told Liam to go at DSHQ instead of me. I couldn't take another humiliation once more. Maybe I could face him tomorrow, next week, next year, or after three hundred forty-seven years, but not today.

"Mr. Salguero, I'm busy. Ask someone who can bring those plans to you," I said, my voice void of any emotions.

My eyes went back to Mauve and Liam. They were watching me. Mauve's eyes narrowed while Liam was looking at me with a smug expression on his face.

I looked away, kept my eyes looking out the window, and ignored them.

Silence.

"Hello?" tanong ko ng wala akong narinig na reply galing kay Daxton.

I heard him clear his throat. "Okay, tell Amelie to bring it here."

Nagpanting ang tenga ko sa narinig. "What?" tanong ko sa mataas na tono.

Fraking Amelie! Wala na siyang bukambibig kundi Amelie.

"Tell Amelie to bring the plans here."

Dammit to hell.