Chapter 17

Caring

Jayna

A couple of weeks have passed in peace now. Not much has changed. Gabie and Lest have been spending a lot of time with Damon now. From what I understand, they haven't had any real romantic relations or anything, but are friends at this point. I've never seen Lest and Gabie as happy as they are now, or as chaotic.

Callum has woken up a couple times while I've been looking after him. Nothing substantial, dipping in and out of consciousness. Lyon, the doctor I'd met when I first came in here, has been keeping him sedated so his body can just heal.

I walk into the medical wing, heading to the only bed that still has an occupant in it. Everyone else who was here is now fully healed and gone. I sit in my regular chair, opening the book I had taken from the library previously. It was on healing magic, something I was finding increasingly interesting watching Callum heal. I quietly read through the book, holding Callum's hand unintentionally as I get absorbed into the book. I don't hear Callum wake up beside me until he actually speaks.

"Jayna?" He asks in a hoarse voice. My eyes snap to his, seeing them open.

"You're awake." I smile softly at him as we hold each others gaze. "I'm happy you're awake." I tell him earnestly.

"What happened?" He asks me, trying to sit up but hissing in pain as he does. I help him sit up, putting pillows behind his back for support.

"You were attacked by one of the rogues. It's been two weeks since then. You're still healing from the injuries you sustained, but you're much better now than you were." I explain as I hand him a glass of water. There are voices from off in the distance that reach our ears.

"I don't care what you think Flynn, I don't like that girl hanging around our brother so much." I recognize Lyon's voice.

"Lord above, you are far too protective of him." Another voice, Flynn I assume, says.

"I am his big brother! I have the right to be protective of him." Lyon defends. "He could have died."

"And because of that woman and her friend, he isn't dead. Maybe you should be more grateful."

"Grateful? Of a disgusting witch and her filthy human friend."

I sigh, having heard Lyon bad talk me many a time now. When I look up, Callum is glaring at the door, clearly having heard what his brothers were saying. I brush it off as usual, turning my full attention back to him.

"Stay here, I'll go get you something to eat." I say softly to him as I stand and exit the room quickly. I run into Lyon and Flynn on my way out. Lyon glares at me, as he usually does, and Flynn smiles at me with a sheepish kind of wave. The brothers look just like Callum, but more mature. Flynn also has green eyes instead of grey ones, his features more rugged and sharp. Lyon looks almost the exact same with the same grey eyes as Callum.

I quickly go by them, returning Flynn's smile and wave. I walk down to the kitchen, gathering a small plate of fruit, toast, and bacon from the cooks and house cleaners there. Thanking them, I hurry back up to the medical room. I'm sure Callum is starving after not eating anything proper in weeks. I hear voices when I get close to the room.

"You have no right to be cruel to her, Lyon." It's Callum. He sounds so angry.

"She's human filth. And friends with that disgusting witch and hunter." Lyon defends as if it's common knowledge.

"They are the Alpha's guests and should be treated as such. Gabie and Lest are also his mates." Callum argues. "You should treat them with more respect."