Chapter 11

"What's his full name?"

I asked, carefully hopping over one big rock. We had been walking for a long time already, mostly just talking and admiring the surroundings.

The plants had turned even more tropic, and you definitely couldn't see the sky anymore. It was like a jungle, some of the flowers seeming to be even alive. Their leaves squirmed around, trying to get a hold of your ankle if you stayed on your place for too long.

"Gabriel Devonshire," the vampire answered to me right from in front of me, my eyes lingering on his plump backside.

Don't judge me, okay.

"Hmm," I hummed, continuing to just admire him.

My clothes hand fortunately dried during the night, and I finally had my comfy sweats and hoodie on me. They were dark green, just the similar color as the pretty leaves around me.

Though the sun was clearly starting to go down, and some golden light was shining through the branches above us. It was so beautiful, all the various colors even brighter and more vibrant.

"He said that other kids don't like to play with him?" I tried to inquire more of the little elf I had this morning met, a weird feeling left in my chest from our encounter.

He had been quite adorable and likeable, though he seemed lonely. I had seen many children play around in the forest, but no one had invited him.

"Yeah— he doesn't have many friends. It's um... complicated," Lynx explained, even deepening my worry and confusion. My eyebrows were knitted together as I stepped behind him, trying to not stare at his strong muscles and graceful hair.

"How?" I asked, lifting my gaze to the back of his head.

I heard him sigh quietly, now becoming even more intrigued by the tiny creature.

"His mother is sick, not most likely even surviving the summer," he said, my feet straight up coming to a stop.

I think he sensed that as well, halting and turning around to look at me. My brown eyes met his red ones, the vampire seeming a bit uncomfortable with the subject, "You see— it's something... it's called dyrohmia."

His lips turned into a tight line, my eyebrows rising in exchange. I hadn't ever heard of it, and I couldn't see the correlation between him having no friends and his mother being sick.

"What's that?" I asked, voicing out my confusion.

Lynx looked at me for a second, then reached out to take my hand. He pulled me back to a slow walking-pace, placing me beside him, "It's a very rare disease that only the elves can suffer from. The most severe cases of it cause memory loss, fever, aggression, and eventually the patient would lose the ability to bend magic and die."

"The survivability rate is non-existent, and Gabby doesn't have any other family," he explained, instantly getting all of my attention.

It sounded extremely sad and unfortunate, and I felt strong sympathy towards the kid, "But how does he not have friends then...?"

Lynx sighed, carefully pulling me against his side, "It's not really because of that— partially. Some kids and their parents are scared that they could get the same disease through him; which is utter stupidity. And some of them just don't like him."

"He's very energetic, and enthusiastic. He interrupts people, forgets stuff and usually creates a lot of fights. Of course, not by purpose. He's just too 'emotional' and hot-headed, as the other parents have described him to be," he stated, my frown only deepening.