Chapter 4: The Lightning Dream

Susant stood by himself on a dirt road, looking up at the ever-darkening sky. In the far distance, he could see a mountain greater than all mountains. It seemed to tower above all in the sky as if it were the ruler of the world.

Rings of clouds sifted around the mountain, separating it into segments that, by themselves, could easily be larger than any of the mountains he had ever seen before. He stood before the sight in awe, watching the silvery clouds curve like rings around the monolith. 

But it wasn't the beautiful silver clouds or even the mountain itself that had caught Susant's eye. No matter how big this mountain was or how beautiful the clouds were, both clouds and mountains he had seen before. But at the peak of this mountain was something his eyes had never touched.

It was a crown of lightning. No matter how hard he looked up at the mountain, he could not make sense of it. Upon its peak was an unrelenting lightning storm, accelerating, unfaltering, and striking with the force of a thousand suns.

The next thing Susant knew, he was in the back of a wooden carriage. A young boy was speaking to him in a language he could not understand. Susant tried to tell him that he was looking for the Monastery, and even though the young boys in the carriage seemed to know what it was, he couldn't understand a single thing they said.

Every few minutes he would look out at the mountain in the distance. It stood still and silent and commanding, but no matter how much time had passed, the lightning illuminating its peak did not slow. It did not rest. It just was.

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel