Chapter 39: Taking Refuge

Susant jolted awake. Breathing heavily, he realized that he was still safe within the monastery. The sun had yet to rise. Standing wearily to his feet, Susant began to walk koras through the garden.

              Several hours passed in the blink of an eye. Jampa had come and had, perhaps, spoken to him, but Susant could not hear. His mind was in too deep a state of contemplation that the world around him had dimmed. 

              He knew in his heart that his first dream had been a premonition of the future. He had been there to see it come to pass. But this second dream; this was something that affected far more than just himself. If this second dream were true, it would mean that the Empire would soon be coming to take Nyima, and that everyone he ever knew and loved was in mortal danger. 

              Susant did not eat breakfast or lunch that day. He did, however, go to the dining hall to help with the dishes. No matter what mental state he was in, the warm water on his hands always brought a sense of calm to his spirit.

              After finishing the dishes, Susant was heading back toward the garden when he was stopped by Tenzin, the Chanting Master.

              "Hello, Susant," said Tenzin, waving at him and smiling. Susant slowed to a stop and bowed respectfully to the Rinpoche. "Walk with me, Susant. I have something I would like to speak with you about."

              Susant began walking alongside Tenzin, who did not speak for the first few minutes. He followed him along the edge of the monastery and through the gardens. He followed suit when Tenzin bowed to the many different statues. When they headed up the stairs to leave the garden, Tenzin finally began to speak.

              "Susant, I can see and feel a change in you since you first arrived. When you first came to us, you were confused and scared, full of pain, desperation and anger. But now, in your attempts to learn our ways, you have overcome those parts of yourself and found the beginnings of peace."

              Susant bowed to the Chanting Master, taking heed of his formalities. "Thank you, Tenzin-la."

              "This is why I think it is time that we offered you a place among us. The uncomfortable living environment you have been in has accelerated your learning, but now that it is time to learn the more complicated teachings, I believe you should finally be given that which you deserve."

              Susant was quiet, unsure of what Tenzin was speaking of. 

              "What I'm saying, Susant, is that I am offering you the choice to take refuge as one of us."

              Susant hadn't heard of this before. Wasn't he already taking refuge with the monks in the monastery? "I'm sorry, Tenzin-la. I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean." 

              Tenzin took Susant softly by his arm and began leading him down the path. "There are those who stay here and spend their time idly watching the days go by one at a time. They were brought here for a purpose that either they cannot find, or, otherwise, refuse to see. And for some, that is alright, for we are not here to judge. However, there are others who come to this place and open themselves to our teachings. It is only to those select few that we offer the choice of taking refuge."

              "But what do you mean, taking refuge?"

              "To become one of us," said Tenzin, his eyes bright.

              Susant took a long, deep breath. Even though he had assumed that that was what Tenzin had been talking about, he had to hear it for himself. It had to really sink in.

              "Of course, that would mean that you would be given a bed in your own room. You would be given the traditional clothing of the monks to wear every day. It is customary that you would cut your hair, but at this point, I think your mind has already moved past the point of that vanity. You would also be given a new name, one that reflects the change in yourself to who you are becoming."

              Susant was still for a few minutes. He didn't know what to think, what to believe. He wanted to speak, but he could not discern what to say. He looked up and into Tenzin's eyes, hoping they would deliver his message.

              Tenzin smiled and placed his hand on Susant's shoulder. "Don't worry, my friend. This isn't a choice you need to make right now. Spend some time and meditate over this. I will be around when you find your answer."

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel