Chapter 18: The Sacred Mountain

It took two days of riding for Susant and Ahles to reach the lake at the base of Kailas. His condition had deteriorated over the long days, and his muscles were beyond aching. Yet still, he was grateful for Ahles, and now knew how easily the world could change, showing one how hard things could truly get. Each day, Ahles had found water and, toward the evening, would not stop riding until he found some semblance of cover for the night.

              With dusk creeping over the horizon, Susant looked at the glistening lake that sat at the bottom of Kailas. Beyond the lake, he could see the twisting path that led its way up the base of the mountain. Ahles trotted down to the lake, where Susant dismounted and drank some of the water. He could feel an icy chill from it, but its taste seemed to rejuvenate his spirit greatly. Ahles must have felt the same from the water, for they both spent several minutes drinking to their heart's content.

              Realizing that he hadn't had a bath in far too long, Susant undressed and slid into the water of the lake. Despite the cold, he could feel the energy of the water rejuvenating his skin, and if he didn't know any better, he could feel the fatigue from his journey fading away. 

              Susant walked out of the water and dried himself off with a small towel. It was only after putting on his clothes that he realized Ahles was nowhere in sight. Feeling his heart jump, Susant looked all around to find the horse, before spotting him at the top of the big hill they had trotted down to find the lake. He stood majestically under the light of the moons, and Susant knew the time had come.

              He could see the eyes of his friend from afar and felt upon seeing them that Ahles was saying goodbye. He had taken him to the place he needed to go. He had returned the kindness that Susant had once shown him.

              Susant felt a smile curl across his face, then bowed to his friend. He whispered on the passing wind. "Thank you, my friend. I will never forget what you've done, and I will always cherish you." Ahles reared up on his back legs, neighing loudly, and a moment later, he was gone. Susant turned his eyes back to the great mountain standing before him.

              A tear fell down his cheek as he looked up that which he had sought. Flashes of his father, the caravan, and memories of Ahles passed through him, leaving naught but the touch of love. He had made it, but not without help he realized, and despite the fear of the unknown, gratitude filled his heart.

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel