Chapter 45: Miracle

For the next two days, Susant sat beneath his tree. Both Song and him had decided to begin fasting and silence the first day. They knew it was a quick and strong way to connect to their inner nature. He tried not to think of the trial at hand. Instead, he had decided to only listen to the feelings within himself. He thought of the words the Ancient One had spoken to him. It was as if there were a piece of himself that he had yet to discover, or else why tell him that he needed to learn what he was?

He soon realized that there was a good chance he would fail the challenge, so he began to think about how much the monastery really meant to him. He had come to love this place and the people within it. Jampa had become like family to him, and he had come to understand how much gratitude he felt toward the monastery and all who lived within it.

On the eve of the second day, Susant's eyes opened from his meditation. I think that this is as good a motivation as I could ever find. I wish to succeed, not necessarily to find myself or return to my family, but because I wish to not leave this place forever, this place that has become like a second home to me.

On the third day, Susant opened his eyes at the break of dawn. He stood up and stretched, then took a few long moments to appreciate the sunrise. It might be the last he ever saw from his home beneath the tree. Song awakened as well, as she had slept beside him in the garden that night. He felt her take his hand, and the two of them walked out of the garden, and down the path toward the main temple.

They walked in the front doors and up the stairs to the Guru's rooms. They walked together to the back room with the beautiful fountain but could not find the golden key. Glancing around the room, Susant didn't realize that they might have placed it somewhere different after he took it the first time.

Turning around, Susant found a very old man with kind eyes looking at him. Wrapped around his shoulders was a red shawl, and in his hands he held two long white scarfs. He had a very quiet demeanor, his presence nearly nonexistent. Susant had not felt him enter the room at all. Song immediately bowed respectfully to the old man, and Susant then realized who it was.

              The Guru of the monastery . . .

The Guru walked forward and took Song's hand in his own. While keeping her head bowed, the Guru placed the white scarf over Song's head and around her shoulders, then gently touched his hand to her forehead. Song smiled and bowed even lower, holding her hands together.

The old man turned to Susant, who also bowed respectfully to the Guru. Susant felt the old man slip a white scarf over his shoulders as well, then touch him in the middle of the forehead, just as he had with Song. Feeling the old man's hands gently touch his chin, he let the Guru lift his head up.

"Don't let the moment escape. Be present, my boy. Be present." And before he knew it, the Guru had taken the red shawl from his own shoulders and laid it across Susant's. A tear came into Susant's eyes as he felt the presence of the shawl return to him; its warmth, its meaning, the memories of Ouren, and the old man he had once found outside in the cold of Kailas. . . .

"It was you?" Susant whispered.

Susant felt as something cold was pressed into his palm. At that, the Guru laughed and placed his hands carefully behind his back before walking out of the room. There had been sincere kindness in his eyes, and a perfect grace to his movements that gave Susant hope and courage. He looked down at his hand and smiled upon seeing the golden key.

Beautiful, he thought. Truly beautiful.

At that, Susant took Song's hand, and they left the rooms. Kamala, the nun who had once spoken to him of anger, watched the two of them come and go with a profound smile upon her face. "Go with strength and courage, my children," she whispered.