Chapter 43: The Impossible Task

Susant and Lotus were led down the hill and through the golden gates by two monks. Awaiting them outside were dozens of other monks and nuns, all staring at the two of them in disbelief. Many of them turned their heads away in shame.

              "Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone knows what just happened . . ." Susant asked.

              "They definitely know," said Lotus, trying not to look anyone in the eye.

              Jampa ran forward and started walking alongside Susant and Lotus. "I can't believe both of you broke three of the precepts! And I can't believe that you met with the Ancient One!"

              Susant stopped in his tracks, turning to Jampa. "Wait, wait, wait. How do you know all of that? Does everyone know all of that? It's impossible for any of you guys to know anything . . ." He looked over at Lotus who shrugged. "Right?"

              "All I know is that I was dreaming," began Jampa, "and the next thing I knew, I was watching the conversation between you and the Ancient One. I saw the whole thing between the three of you. When I woke up, several of the others in my dorm had had the same dream. All of us ran out here to the golden gate to see if the dreams were really true."

              Susant was tight-lipped and silent. "So, the Ancient One showed what happened to every single monk and nun in the entire monastery. Why would he do that?"

              "I don't know," said Jampa. "The Ancient One works in mysterious ways. But I don't think that's important right now. Both of you have three days to perform a miracle, right? How in the world are you going to do that?"

              Several monks walked by the three of them, giving them strange looks.

              "To be honest, I have no idea," said Susant, sitting down on the ground. He looked up at Lotus. "You've been awfully quiet . . . Song."

              She looked over at him, giving him a look that he couldn't discern.

              Jampa looked first at Susant and then at Lotus. "Well, I don't know how to perform a miracle, but I think that both of you better get started on learning, or else I'll never be able to see you again. You've become a brother to me, Susant. I'll do anything and everything in my ability to help you as best I can."

              Susant looked up at his friend. "Thank you, Jampa. You've become a brother to me, as well."

              Jampa snapped his fingers. "That reminds me. I want to give you something! I'll meet you at the garden later on tonight after I put the finishing touches on it."

***

              "So, you want to tell me what's going on?" Susant finally asked.

               Susant and Lotus had found their way back to the garden, seeking peace from the many monks and nuns who watched them. The two of them sat on the very edge overlooking the sky, the place they had once spoken of the elements together.

              Lotus took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Susant . . . I should have told you a long time ago, but when I found out you were from Nyima, I could not face the shame in telling you the truth."

              Susant looked at her but did not speak. He suddenly wished he hadn't asked.

              Knowing that he would say nothing until she explained further, Lotus continued. "Like you, I have broken three of the precepts of the monastery. The first was lying to you about my name . . . The truth is that my name is Song, and that I am the princess of the dynasty that has conquered nearly all the world."

              Susant's eyes widened. "Y-You're the princess of the Empire?"

              Song nodded solemnly. "I didn't want you to know that I was from the Empire, so the moment before I told you my name, the first thing that came to my mind was the lotus flower, and so . . ."

              "Then, that means that your father, the one who saw the world differently than you . . ."

              "Yes," said Song, nodding again. "My father is the Emperor."

              A tense silence followed. 

              There was a sadness in her voice when Song next spoke. "Once I was old enough to understand the repercussions of my father's choices, I could not stand by and say nothing. I desperately tried to sway him, attempting to convince him that his way of thinking would only cause more suffering in the world . . . but he would never listen."

              "So, you ran away . . ." said Susant. "And came to this place."

              "Yes," said Song, "and I have never wanted to return home ever since. That world scares me more than anything else. I can't bear to return to a world where my father is such a confused man. A place where my mother's words are powerless to stop him. I—l can't bear to go back there." Tears were in her eyes as she looked up at Susant. "That's why I need to perform a miracle, Susant, but I don't know how . . . This place is all I have left . . . Without it, I have nothing."

              Susant didn't know what to say. He didn't know what he was expecting Song to say, but it was definitely not what she had just told him. She was in a completely different situation than him. And no wonder she hadn't wanted to tell him about herself. It was her family, after all, that was coming to enslave his homeland.

              Susant wanted to hate her. He wanted to be angry at Song for the things her family had done. But the hatred and anger did not come. He felt only a softness and empathy for the girl. He truly didn't know if he would have done anything differently if he were in her place. Feeling himself softly smiling, Susant took Song's hand in his own.

              "You heard the Ancient One," said Susant. "I've already performed a miracle once, and you have been one of my greatest teachers. If we come together as one, there's no way we can't succeed."

              "But you said that you could just wait three days and go home," Song said quietly. "There is no reason for you to perform a miracle . . ."

              Susant was quiet for a moment. "That's true. I did say that. But I know in my heart that if I just let go and give up, I would regret it for the rest of my life. Besides, there's no way I can abandon you in your hour of need. You were there for me, and so I will be here for you."

              A tear ran down Song's cheek. "Thank you, Susant. You truly do have a strong heart." She paused, as if unsure of what to say. "But, aren't you worried that you still don't know how you were able to perform the miracle before? And I am no master, by any means. I have only been here for a little longer than you. We are both students in the way of things, yet they expect us to perform something that even most gurus cannot do."

              The wind swept past her. "It is an impossible task," she whispered, "and we are beginners."

              Susant smiled as he felt the wind in his hair. "That's exactly why we have the advantage."

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel