Chapter 17: An Unlikely Friend

A few hours had passed while Susant tended to the horse's leg. It had been difficult and scary, for many times, while trying to touch the horse, and he often felt he was soon to be kicked in the face. Yet, despite all his fears, the horse seemed to have some understanding of Susant and realized that he was trying to help him.

              Finally leaning his back against a tree, Susant let out a long sigh. Placing the medicine kit inside his pack, Susant was happy to find a chunk of bread hidden down at the bottom. He remembered stowing it away the day he had been drawing, and the calm, happy thoughts of the caravan came back to him. He wondered if Krishna, Ganga, and the others were all right, or even alive, and his thoughts turned to sorrow. 

              He felt the nuzzle of the horse rub against his shoulder, smelling for the bread. Susant looked over at the horse, looking into its eyes. For some reason, he felt he could see further into the beast's eyes than before. He could feel within it the same sadness and fear that he felt in his own heart.

              "You're hungry, aren't you?" Susant asked, tearing the bread in half. "It's probably crazy for me to share my bread with you, considering I have barely enough for myself, but I will not abandon those from the caravan any more than I already have."

              Susant smiled as he handed the horse half of the bread. He gently touched the horse's head as he watched him swallow the bread whole, barely chewing it at all. Susant laughed to himself, thinking that he might have saved some for later.

              "Well," continued Susant, "if we are to be friends, then we must have a name for you. After all, it isn't fitting for anyone or anything to not have a name."

The horse stared back into his eyes, and it felt like there was curiosity in his gaze.

              "I think I shall name you Ahles," said Susant. "After one of my friends from back home."

              The days passed slowly for Susant and Ahles, and the small piece of bread that he had was soon gone. He began to feel lighter, more so in his mind and spirit than anywhere else, even though he was growing thinner by the day.

              Susant had counted nearly four days since the morning he woke up and saw Ahles on the other side of the river. Absentmindedly watching Ahles walk around, he suddenly realized that his friend's injury had begun to heal. A great sense of relief passed over Susant as he watched Ahles drinking the water.

              Susant knew in his heart that it was time for him to move on from their quiet place in the forest. The whole time he had been taking care of Ahles, he had been secretly hoping he would heal, so he could ride him home. But as he watched Ahles from the side of the river, he saw a certain freedom in the horse, and a sadness came over him when he thought of taking that away from him.

              Susant packed his bags, his mind deep in thought. Ahles watched him carefully. Moving slowly due to his lack of food, Susant wondered if he had the selflessness within him to free his friend.

              Finally, having everything in order, Susant took a breath and brought his eyes to Ahles. He made his way across the thin stream and placed his hand on his head.

              "It seems you are able to walk now, my friend," said Susant, feeling the warmth of Ahles beneath his fingers. "I was hoping you could take me back home when you were healed, but I think it is not my place to ask such things of you. You have been at the mercy of others for most likely your whole life, and I think it is time you had the freedom to do as you will."

              Susant looked Ahles in the eyes. "You have been a great warmth to me during my time of sadness, and I wish that you will find a new home somewhere in the world. You are a beautiful horse, and I thank you."

              At that, Susant turned and began walking up the stream. He did not know why he chose this direction, but he continued walking. The pain and understanding that he may never be able to go home had dulled over the long days. He would now let the stream of the world guide him on his path, hopefully to a better place.

              Susant did not know how long he'd walked, but one moment he was hidden by the cover of trees, and the next, he was standing out in the open sunlight. The sun was bliss upon his face, and he held his arms up to the sky.

              Feeling something nudge his arm, Susant turned quickly to find Ahles standing beside him. The horse brought his head underneath Susant's arm, and he felt new warmth in his heart.

              "I guess we are family now," said Susant, smiling. Looking past the horse, he could see, in the distance, the great mountain Kailas. It stood before him, undaunting, terrifying, but full of unanswered questions, and he felt something then, as if the very wind were pushing him in that direction.

              Susant turned to Ahles. "Will you take me to where I need to go, my friend?"

Ahles whinnied, trotting in a light circle around Susant. Watching the horse come closer, Susant took hold of the hair behind Ahles's neck, and pulled himself up and onto the great steed.

              "Thank you," said Susant, leaning against his companion. "I owe you my life."

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel