Chapter 1

5,4,3,2,1..... Schools out. "Summer is here" I say. As my friend Lydia and I walk out of our last history class of the year. We walk upstairs to empty our lockers and grab our overnight bags from the hooks placed in a pattern of the wall. We made our way back down the stairs and out to our friend Kaitlyn's car. I hopped in the front seat and Kaitlyn turned the car on. We raced out of the parking lot making our way to Kaitlyn's house for her annual pool party.

"So... Riley Smith what are your plans for this summer" says Kaitlyn dragging out the so.

"Probably the beach, find cute guys, y'know the norm!" I say playfully punching her in the arm and high-fiving Lydia in the back seat. I never actually had a real boyfriend, but if anyone wants to include my 1st grade engagement to a boy named Parker then I am happy to say that I have had not just boyfriend but a fiance.

"Oooo la la!" Says Kaitlyn. She takes French so she is always saying stuff like that. I tried and help her study for her exams but I ended up sounding like a dying walrus impersonating a bull. "I need to get me one of them boyfriends." She said making us burst into laughter.

"Also I'm not moving again" I said. Because of my dad's job we had to move around a lot. It was hard to make friends in the new cities. I've been betrayed and lied to many times so I don't let people in very quickly. I'm guarded. Whenever I moved, the first time I actually made a genuine friend it was time to move again. Being the new girl is not that easy either when you get bullied at schools. That is one of the reasons I can't make quick friends. I used to live in L.A. until I was 6 years old but then my dad had a job transfer to Wellington, New Zealand and my whole world changed.

Being an only child isn't the life people dream about because my parents are normally at work or doing something with their friends. My dad is a trauma doctor who is transferred to places who need assistance and my mom is a pharmacist. They make many friends with who they help but their friends never invite me anywhere. I don't see my parents much but when I do I cherish the time I have with them. I could never imagine my life without them. They do so much for me even though they are normally not home. They kept me fed, well clothed, warm, and gave me a roof over my head and I'm so grateful. They were there when it was time to help me through a move and they also brought me tissues when I was bullied at school.

We pull in the driveway of Kaitlyn's house and immediately hop out of her Chevy Equinox. I opened the door to her house immediately being greeted by Lauren, Kaitlyn's younger sister, and their peekapoo named Midnight. Headed towards Kaitlyn's room I heard the new broadcaster say "News of a house fire breaking out on Dog River in Mobile Alabama"

I live on Dog River. I whip my head around to look at the television. I fall back on the couch in shock after realizing that it was my house. "The 2 victims, Thomas and Candii Smith sadly did not make it out of the home and died on the way to the hospital in the ambulances" the news reporter stated before moving on to the next topic.

I just sat there. Could not even move. Could not even cry no matter how much I wanted to. They are gone, ripped out of my life, and I cannot even muster up a tear. I just sat there staring at the television. I felt someone hug me. Lydia gave me a warm hug. What am I going to do?

"Riley, I'm so sorry! It will be ok you can stay with us as long as you need" says Kaitlyn's mom. Both my parents were the only child and one set of grandparents had died, one was in the hospital with cancer and one went missing when I was little. I have no where to go. I would be a burden if I were to stay here because who knows how long I would be here.

"I have to go" I said quickly before bolting out of the house with my backpack of clothes still on my back. I ran and ran until I couldn't run anymore. I kept crying and wouldn't stop. I felt like my world was ending. I had no one left to turn to. Everywhere I go would just be a hard path to be on. I stopped running and bent over trying to catch my breath. Slowly tears started rolling down my cheeks. I collapsed on the ground sobbing.