Chapter XXXVIII: Tests

Saphira opened a lazy eye as I swung my quiver over my shoulder. I have a message for you, the blue dragon told me. I tilted my head in question. It was from Nasuada – Ajihad's daughter. She told Eragon and I to pass the message to you.

That message was...?

Saphira blinked, you can visit Murtagh now. She then told me how to get there.

Thank you, I told her heading towards Vol Turin.

Would you like a lift down? Saphira asked and I shook my head in response.

It'll be good exercise, I told her.

Watch out for the twins, they cornered Eragon yesterday. You have no magic to defend yourself with if they attack, Saphira warned.

I am not as alone as I appear, I told Saphira.

Istal cannot help you from this distance, Saphira said, not understanding the truth of what I was saying.

Trust me Saphira, I told Eragon's dragon. I'll be fine.

Saphira's muzzle twitched, as if she was about to snarl, if you're sure.

I nodded, I am. I will be back later, I will visit Murtagh and then head to the training ground.

After following Saphira's instructions, I reached a small grey door guarded by a man and a dwarf. "Just holler when you want to leave," the man said after the dwarf opened the door.

The cell was warm and well lit, with a washbasin in one corner and a writing desk – equipped with quills and ink – in another. The ceiling was extensively carved with lacquered figures; the floor was covered with a blush rug. Murtagh lay on a stout bed, reading a scroll. "Umaroth," he said putting the scroll down with a grin. "I was hoping you would come!"

"Hey," I replied, looking around the cell. "I think your quarters are better than mine," I said with a teasing grin.

Murtagh laughed, "I expected to be stuck in some rat hole chewing on hardtack," Murtagh said cheerily. "But Ajihad lets me have all this as long as I don't cause trouble. And they bring me huge meals, as well as anything I want from the library. How's Eragon? How have you been treated by the Varden? What's happened to you?" Murtagh asked as I sat down next to him.

"Well, Ajihad had actually known my parents, they had been in the Varden once," I revealed. "Ajihad has put in a position to be Eragon and Saphira's guard in battle. And last I saw of Eragon, he was sleeping after I got up."

"A powerful position," Murtagh said.

"It is, but it's probably the best place for me currently. I also visited the library, as did Eragon."

Murtagh laughed, "At this rate, we'll all turn into fat scholars!"

I laughed and grinned at Murtagh, "Can you imagine that? After fleeing the Empire, the Dragon Rider and his loyal companions turned into fat scholars and never left the library."

"Have you seen how they've been treating Tornac? I haven't heard anything, but I worry anyway," Murtagh said.

"Tornac is fine. I saw all three horses yesterday. He's been washed and his gear was oiled and checked. I doubt anyone will go near him unless it was necessary," I commented.

"Why is that?"

"Istal's bitten two people so far and plans to keep unknowns out of the paddock," I said with a slight smile. "I'm not planning on stopping him." Murtagh laughed and started telling me of the books he had discovered.