Chapter XVIII: Wild Magic and the Varden

In the morning, Eragon, Brom and I retrieved our saddlebags from the stable and prepared to depart. Istal's saddle sore had been a thing of the past for a while, but even so I still checked him for any others. Before we departed, Jeod greeted Brom while Helen watched from the doorway. With grave looks, the two men clasped hands. "I'll miss you, old man." Jeod said.

"And you I," Brom said thickly. He bowed his white head and then turned to Helen. "Thank you for your hospitality; it was most gracious." Her face reddened. Brom continued, unperturbed, "You have a good husband; take care of him. There are few men as brave and as determined as he is. But even he cannot weather difficult times without support from those he loves." Brom bowed again and said gently, "Only a suggestion, dear lady."

Indignation and hurt crossed Helen's face, her eyes flashed as she slammed the door shut. Jeod sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. Eragon and I both thanked him for his help, Eragon more so then me. With the last farewells said, we mounted the horses and departed.

At Teirm's south gate, the guards let them through without a second glace. As we rode under the giant outer wall, I saw movement in a shadow. As we rode passed, I saw Solembum was crouched on the ground, tail twitching. Eragon and I shared a glance, seeing the same thing and nodded.

As the city receded into the distance, Eragon was the one to ask, "What are werecats?"

"Why the sudden curiosity?" Brom asked, looking surprised.

"We heard someone mentioning them in Teirm. They're not real, are they?" I asked, feigning ignorance.

"They are quite real." Brom said in reply, "During the Riders' years of glory, they were as renowned as dragons. Kings and elves kept them as companions – yet the werecats were free to do what they chose. Very little has ever been known about them. I'm afraid that their race has become rather scarce as of recent."

"Could they use magic?" Eragon interrogated.

"No one's sure, but they could certainly do unusual things. They always seem to know what was going on and some way or another get themselves involved." Brom said, pulling up his hood to block a chill wind. I followed his lead and hunched myself over Istal's neck.

"What's Helgrind?" Eragon quizzed, after a moment of thought.

"You'll both see when we get to Dras-Leona," Brom replied.

When Teirm was out of sight, I heard Eragon shout in my mind, Saphira! Istal obviously heard the strong mental shout as he reared and pranced on the spot when he landed back on four legs. Next to me, Cadoc tossed his head, whereas Snowfire simply tossed his head.

We all watched as a dark blur rushed from a cloud, before hearing a dull road as Saphira's wings flared open. The sun shone behind the thin membranes, turning them translucent and silhouetting the dark veins. She landed with a blast of air.

Eragon tossed Cadoc's reins to me with a wide grin. "I'll join you for lunch."

Brom nodded, but seemed preoccupied. "Have a good time," he said, then looked at Saphira and smiled. "It's good to see you again."

"Agreed," I said.

And you too, Saphira said replying to both of us. Eragon quickly hopped onto Saphira's shoulders and the dragon bounded upwards. Saphira quickly gained height and with a wild bugle, soared in a great loop.

Brom and I then moved off, and I tied Cadoc's reins to the back of my saddle. For the first hour no one spoke. "You both, that is you and Istal, need to shield your minds," Brom said suddenly.