Chapter XXIX: Hadarac Desert

The grey predawn hours were cold as we rose, forcing ourselves to shed the tiredness in our minds. "How are we going to transport the elf? She can't ride on Saphira's back much longer without getting sores from her scales. Saphira can't carry her in her claws – it tires her and makes landing dangerous. A sledge won't work; it would get bettered to pieces while we ride, and I don't want the horses slowed by the weight of another person."

"If you and the elf were to swap, so you rode Saphira... we would still have the same issue," Murtagh said to Eragon as he saddled his stallion.

Saphira was quick to come up with solution, suggesting that we tie the elf to her own belly. When no one came up with a better idea, we quickly used blankets and spare clothes to secure the elf. "We'll have to check the ropes occasionally for fraying," I said, as we analysed our handiwork.

"Shall we go?" Eragon asked.

Murtagh's eyes sparked dangerously, a tight smile lifting his lips. I looked backwards, seeing the smoke rising from where the soldiers' camps were. "I always did like races," Murtagh smirked.

I swung into the saddle, "And now we're in one for our lives!" Murtagh swung into Tornac's saddle, setting off at a trot, with Eragon and myself quick to follow. Saphira leapt into the air with the elf, flying low to the ground to avoid being seen by the soldiers. This was how we made our way southeast, towards the Hadarac Desert.

We eventually reached the Ramr, a few days after the race for our lives had begun. The river ran dark and swift. Mist lazily wafted up from the river. Murtagh tossed a branch into the river, checking the current.

"How deep do you think it is?" I asked, dismounting.

"Don't know, can't tell," Murtagh replied, worrying colouring his tone. "Can you see how far across it is with magic?"

"Not without lighting this place up," Eragon responded, Saphira sighed and lifted off.

"A half-mile!" Eragon exclaimed, hurrying to tell Murtagh and me what he meant. "Saphira offered to fly us over, and then the horses."

"I'd rather not try it, for the horses' sake. Tornac isn't as accustomed to Saphira as Snowfire and Istal are. He might panic and injure them both. See if there are shallows where we can swim over safely. If there are none within a mile of here, then she can ferry us." Murtagh muttered.

At Eragon's request, Saphira took off to go search for a ford. While she explored, we gave the horses a quick break, while we ate dry bread. Saphira returned in the early dawn. "The river is still deep and swift in either direction," Eragon eventually announced.

"I'd better go over first," Murtagh said, "I'd feel better being able to watch Tornac. Be careful with him, I've had him for many years." Murtagh scrambled onto Saphira's saddle and the blue dragon took off.

When Saphira returned, the unconscious elf had been untyed from her belly. I quickly mounted and Eragon led Tornac towards Saphira. I reached out with my mind, feeling Eragon do the same, but I pushed on calming emotions and whispered words in the ancient language. The horse stopped kicking but still whinnied loudly as Saphira flew him over the river.

Murtagh was tying Tornac when Saphira flew back across the river, the warhorse still acting as he was about to bolt. Saphira came back with Istal who stayed quiet. I refuse to do that again, Istal murmured to me. I laughed and stroked the stallion's neck.

If we are in the same situation again, we won't get that choice, I responded.

Istal snorted, I doubt we are that unlucky to end up in the same situation later.