Chapter XV: The Witch and the Werecat (Unedited)

|| Dream ||

I was aware that I was dreaming once again, and as usual, there was a dark purple dragon in my dream. The dragon was watching me this time, her purple eyes gleaming with hidden knowledge. This war is unfair, the dragon said into my mind.

I tilted my head in confusion, how is that?

There are too many dragons facing against Saphira and Eragon, this has been explained to me. The dragon said. The odds should be fair.

How do you know this? I questioned, looking around. The dragon was lying in a large clearing that had a bubbling creak running along one side, with huge trees reaching up as if to hide the dragon from those in the sky.

I have been told, the dragon murmured, you will call me for when the time is right. Nevertheless, we cannot fight in battle without knowing each other. I must know how you fight in order to join you in battle. We must become one, in order to defeat our enemies - all of which are stronger compared to us.

What about Istal? I asked, surely I can't lose my horse. He's been with me for many years, and has been a reliable horse for so long.

The dragon raised her shoulders in a shrug. I do not know all that fate has planned. I just know we will speak more often in our dreams before you feel the need to call me.

You are a living dragon, I said, more to myself than to the dragon. A real living dragon, a... a wild dragon? I asked with my eyebrows creased as I thought to myself. I think that's what Brom called them.

That is correct, the dragon said, wild dragons are dragons without riders. They do what they command themselves, but to keep out of a war they don't attack any humans, elves, or dwarves. That battle has happened already.

The dragon blinked, her purple eyes standing out against her dark purple scales. I am not sure what will happen when we meet. No Dragon Rider has become a Dragon Rider after the dragon hatched and met years afterwards. Dragon Riders normally have magic yet you do not, something may happen before then.

Will it be a huge thing if I cannot use magic? I asked, slightly unsure. Eragon was a Dragon Rider, and despite not having partaken in any major battles, he hadn't really used magic.

Yes, it would be. Say you've lost your weapons, and there are no weapons nearby. You have enemies closing in, and I am not nearby to help you. The dragon said. Many things may happen though, and you may gain magic somehow. I haven't heard of that happening, but that doesn't mean it has happened. Magic users have an innate power that allows them to use their energy, directed by thoughts, to manipulate the world.

How would I gain magic?

How that's possible is hidden in the explanation itself. Innate, it can mean natural, inborn, and so forth. But, it can also mean derived from the constitution of the intellect.

So that's how Dragon Riders gain it, they gain it from their dragon. Despite that fact, you said we wouldn't be bound. I told the dragon.

So that may be, but do not lose hope. The manipulation of energy can happen in many different ways. If one suddenly gains the knowledge of manipulating energy and therefore practises, finding this energy located within your mind, they may find themselves able to manipulate their energy to manipulate the world. Does that make sense?

I shook my head, utterly confused. Not really, you've managed to lose me. I suppose we'll end up crossing that bridge when we come to it. Do you know how often we'll have these talks?