Chapter VII: Magic (Unedited)

Chapter VII: Magic

|| Dream ||

As I left the village behind me, I couldn't help but feel depressed. I had learnt my Mother had died, and I left Istal behind in a friend's hands. Istal was too young to be out on the road and be used in battle. The encounter with the wolves had taught me that. I hoped that Istal would allow himself to be ridden and trained, however I doubted it.

I sighed and debated what to do, there was very little to do. I mentally made a list of what was happening to me.

I'm on the run from the empire, my family is dead, Istal is injured and left behind, I'm injured, I have a bow with arrows and a sword, somewhere there's a dragon in the Spine, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I nodded to myself at my list. All in all it summed up my situation. What to do, what to do? I thought to myself. I stopped and looked into the forest, the Spine. There were many stories surrounding the Spine, it was a place feared by many if not all.

A smirk formed on my face, a place that's feared? A place that no one goes deep into? Sounds like the perfect place to hide. I pulled my bag, filled with provisions and anything else I might need, higher on my shoulder so it was more comfortable.

I entered the Spine with my head held high. I would not cower in fear of what could be in the forest. Something in me also wished to run into the forest and find... something. My mother's words about the dragon came to mind briefly before I shook it from my head.

I entered the forest, my bow strung and held tightly in my hand. I started trekking through the forest quietly, imagining that my twin sister was hiding somewhere. A tear fell from my eye as I thought of my twin. She's dead, I told myself harshly, no crying. She'd love to see you this soft, I told myself.

I let out a soft laugh. I'm now talking to myself. I thought, how ridiculous. I spotted a small trail through some bushes and paused wondering what the trail led. I knew that the path would be used by either predators or prey, presumably, leading to prey or a safe clearing.

I started following the trail, moving slowly so my presence wouldn't be detected. I came to a halt as the path stopped, having led to a thicket of trees. I pushed through the branches and bushes, gaining a few scratches along my face, arms, and legs.

Finally, I managed to enter what the trees had been hiding: a clearing. The clearing stood underneath a small cliff which if I could probably climb down. There was a small waterfall tumbling into a small spring.

A smile appeared on my face, I had found my safe haven.

***

The purple dragon flapped its wings lazily and surveyed the landscape below it once again. The dragon snorted as it glided lower to the treetops. The branches ruffled the beast's belly and the dragon yawned.

A voice seemed to speak out as the dragon continued gliding, only flapping its wings when it was about to crash into a tree. "There's a dragon out there Umaroth, your mother was right. You need to stick with Eragon and Saphira, do whatever you can to help them. They mean you no harm," the voice said.

For the fourth time during my recent dreams, I became aware of my body... or my conscious. Whatever was allowing me to witness what was happened.

"Who- Who are you?" I questioned, my voice came out disjointed, and it felt so unnatural to speak.

"We are on your side however you may not know of us till much later, the time is not now. Just know that whatever happens no dragon is alone."