Chapter 31

"Dumbledore will be back before long," said Ernie Macmillan confidently on the way back from Herbology after listening intently to Harry's story. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time. The Fat Friar told me . . ." He dropped his voice conspiratorially, so that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had to lean closer to him to hear, ". . . that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her." Ernie smirked. "Apparently she had a right little tantrum. . . ."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office," said Hermione viciously, as they walked up the stone steps into the entrance hall. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old —"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?" said Malfoy, sliding out from behind the door, in a low voice, "Or do you want to keep a clean record. Someone might hear; someone who won't take that sentence kindly." He looked over his shoulder at Crabbe and Goyle, who hadn't noticed them, and gave them a pointed stare.

"Malfoy," Harry said tersely, "Where were you last night?"

"Why do you want to know?" he said defensively.

"Because," he said impatiently, "Did you or did you not try to catch a bunch of us and throw a tripping jinx at me?"

"Okay, for one," Malfoy said angrily, "When was the last time I threw a spell, jinx or curse at you. And two, I wasn't. Pansy, Blaise and I were with both Snapes at the time. Now, if you see someone with these pins—" he showed the four of them a pin with a weird 'I', "— keep out of their way. They can dock points, courtesy of Umbridge."

"Why are you telling us this?" Ron asked, wary of the Slytherin.

"If anyone sees us talking, they are going to get suspicious. So, Potter, pretend you're getting angry at me and throw some curse, alright?"

Harry grinned. A chance to throw a curse at Malfoy and not get chastised for it.

"Bugger off, Malfoy, Calvorio!"

Malfoy's eyebrows went up and he barely blocked it. Blocked it?

"You'll pay for that, Potter! 20 points from Gryffindor!"

Harry turned and, to his astonishment, 20 rubies went up. They were falling behind in the competition.

Malfoy smirked at Harry, and whispered in his ear as he passed, "Don't you dare touch my hair."

"Noticed, have you?" said Fred's voice.

He and George had just come down the marble staircase and joined Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ernie in front of the hourglasses.

"Malfoy just docked me 20 points," said Harry furiously, as he watched more and more stones shoot up.

"Yeah, Montague tried to do us during break," said George.

"What do you mean, 'tried'?" said Ron quickly.

"He never managed to get all the words out," said Fred, "due to the fact that we forced him headfirst into that Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor."

Hermione looked very shocked.

"But you'll get into terrible trouble!"

"Not until Montague reappears, and that could take weeks, I dunno where we sent him," said Fred coolly. "Anyway . . . we've decided we don't care about getting into trouble anymore."

"Have you ever?" asked Hermione.

" 'Course we have," said George. "Never been expelled, have we?"

"We've always known where to draw the line," said Fred.