Chapter 3

Two weeks had passed since Efe met the blue-eyed boy in the faculty hallway, two whole weeks of wild dreams at night; she saw him every night in her dreams, touching her, caressing her, holding her hands, and running kisses on them.

She tried to suppress the sexual awakening she felt, but it was all to no avail. How could she have wet dreams of someone who despised her? She had never felt this way for the opposite sex before.

Efe had only dated once in high school, and the only form of intimacy she had with her ex-boyfriend ended with them holding hands together; she had never felt such attraction to anyone before, and it was new to her; it made her angry that she had to feel this way for such a ruthless stranger, one who hated her guts.

' I think I might be losing my mind,' she told her friend Ebere on the phone. Ebere was her childhood friend in Nigeria; they were more like sisters because of their closeness, and they told each other almost everything.

' How can I be harboring such yeye (yeye is a word in Nigerian pidgin English that means "funny or stupid")
Feelings towards that kind of guy, if you listen to the way he spoke to me as if I disgusted him, my sister, I felt so angry' Efe poured out her heart to Ebere.

'Efe, ignore the guy; that's how most of them behave over there; it's normal to meet racist people abroad, so hold yourself. Na better Benin girl you be o so don't let any idiot spoil your experience okay' Ebere told her

'No problem dear, I've missed you o, how's mum and dad' Efe asked, and they spoke at length, relishing in each other's company.

Thinking about the boy she met wasn't the only thing Efe had been up to in two weeks; she had moved down to the university hostel, taking time to arrange her stuff.

Her roommate Kelly was a lovely girl; she got to know that Kelly was an engineering student in her second year at the university, which made her happy because kelly got to share her year-one experiences with her.

Later that afternoon, Kelly had informed her about a party that would take place at a trendy person's house, but Efe wasn't a party type but still agreed that, after all, attending one party wouldn't kill her.

She walked to her wardrobe and pulled out a flannel shirt with a plain tank top and a pair of skinny black jeans, and her Chuck Taylor sneakers. She didn't want to look overdressed, so she had to opt for a more straightforward fashion style.

Deep down in her heart, she hoped that tonight's party would be a thrilling experience.

           * * *

Efe walked alongside Kelly so as not to get lost in the crowd at the party, she thought this was going to be a party with few people, but it looked like the whole students were there.

She saw Kelly talking to a red-haired girl she later learned was a friend of Kelly's.

"Come on, and I wanna take you somewhere, a place where only the high-class seniors in our university hang out," Kelly told her with a beaming smile

"Oh -okay - sure, " Efe replied, feeling uneasy

They strode into a vast room located on the second floor of the house. The room seemed alive, glistening with lights and filled with detail. Numerous pictures and an open laptop were sitting next to two plants growing from the same pot on a small table. And there were about 10-12 people (guys and girls) all fitted around talking, drinking, and carrying on with whatever activities they were on. She saw kelly walk up to some group of people, her friends maybe, she thought.

Laughter echoed loudly from the other side of the room, and she turned her head around to see where it was coming from; her eyes clashed with those same blue eyes from two weeks ago.

'No, it can't be, not him again; I've tried so much to forget about him, for Christ's sake; what's he doing here' Efe thought to herself

It was too late to turn away from those piercing eyes as she gazed unashamedly without blinking; it felt like he had cast a spell on her. Those bedroom eyes and dark hair falling into them mesmerized her, but she had to stop staring.

His eyes watched her like a tiger watches a bunny, and in that instant, she looked away with her heart beating loudly.

She went over to the table to pour herself a glass of water, she felt her throat parched, plus she needed to calm her nerves.

"Running away,"  a voice behind her said

She turned and stood facing him

"Why would I run away? Hmm, I do not even know you, besides you're the most despicable human being I've ever seen," she replied with a frown

"But you do not know me; how is it that I'm the most despicable person you've ever met because I find you awful and low," he said, staring deep into her eyes, both of them unable to break the eye contact.

"Jake, I see you've met my roommate and newest friend Efe " she heard Kelly say, breaking the connection between her and the blue-eyed guy.

"Oh, his name was Jake, " Efe thought

"Nice to meet you..... Efe," Jake told her with a glint of mockery in his eyes.

Oh, it was going to be a LONG NIGHT. Efe thought

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote ❤️