Nothing will be left to chance.

Jessy's statement causes everyone to turn their eyes toward Jake and me, instantly, while we are still standing in the middle of the room. With one eye I notice how Jake tries to move away; a vain attempt to withdraw from the center of attention, since I immediately grab him by his sweatshirt, holding him on the spot.

Stay here Jake, where do you think you're going?

I know you're uncomfortable, but I need your insight and skills right now: we absolutely need to explain the plan in detail and precisely!

We aren't allowed any margin for error.

With my fingers still clenched around the fabric of Jake's sleeve, I let out a deep sigh, exhaling all the air from my lungs. I watch as he approaches my side again, and as soon as I release my grip, I feel him encircling my arm tightly; it's his way of implicitly telling me that everything will be alright.

Because yes, with this plan we lay it all on the line: we are going all-in, in a game where the stake is Hannah's rescue.

"Well, guys..." I begin the speech, rubbing my hands together, overwhelmed by nervousness. "As you can imagine, having called you here is not just a courtesy invite..." I slide my gaze to my friends' faces: they are totally absorbed in my words, with a serious expression printed on their faces. I get right to the heart of the preface, asking them: "Do you remember I told you I had a plan in mind?"

"Yes, you told us that you can track Michael's movements and, to that end, you have a plan to save Hannah." Cleo interjects, mentioning the only thing Jake allowed me to tell them by chat.

"Exactly." My confirming her words further captures the attention of the group; at this moment, they're literally all hanging on my every word, in an impatient anticipation filled with apprehension. I decide to narrate from the beginning, in a nutshell: "When we were attacked in the apartment above the Aurora..." I pause briefly as my eyes meet Jessy's: she has a pained grimace on her face, distressed at remembering those moments of panic and terror. "Jake was monitoring the outside public cameras. He immediately noticed a suspicious car, which repeated its drive around the block several times. The driver then, as you already know, turned out to be Hanson himself. Then, having discovered what his car was, an old gray station wagon, he had an idea..." I create some suspense.

"Did he jot down the license plate and do some research?" Thomas tries to guess, to indirectly solicit me for the continuation of the story.

"No, much better." I sketch a barely-there smile as I turn my gaze toward Jake. I press my hip against his and rest my hand on his shoulder. I tap my palm on it, giving him short little pats, as if to congratulate him; a way of giving him credit and praising him in front of the group. "When he joined us at the Aurora, after spotting the car, he managed to hide a GPS tracker under Hanson's trunk."

Several exclamations of surprise, as well as wonder, are raised from people present. "Nice move Hackerboy!" Dan compliments him, clapping his hands in applause; this is immediately followed by a comment from Phil: "That's remarkable..." completed with raised eyebrows and an impressed attitude.

Am I, by any chance, dreaming?

Okay that Jake it's been amazing, but a compliment from Phil I just didn't expect.

Jake, what did you put in Phil's coffee? Do you know anything about that?

Even Lilly steps in to praise his deeds: "You're a genius, big brother!" Then, she gloats on the spot in a clear demonstration of pride. Needless to say, the appellation she uses elicits some surprise.

"Oh Lilly, please c'mon, I still have to get used to your kinship." Jessy directs a theatrical grin at her, then mimics: "Big brother, you did it great!!!" She directs a sickened grimace at her, intending to purposely provoke and poke her.