One for all?

I stay for a few seconds looking into the woods, staring at the exact spot from where the small group walked through the trees. The vegetation is so thick, that after a few steps I had already lost sight of them.

I would be lying to say that I am not terribly anxious about Jake; if he had not begged me to stay here, I would never, ever have let him go without me. But we had to find some common ground, and I understand that he has already done his part by letting me actively participate in the raid. It must have been really hard for him to agree to my request. I know perfectly well that he would have preferred to keep me out of everything, making me wait for the success of Hannah's rescue, in a safe place away from any danger. I felt the duty to accommodate this request of his, at least.

I owed it to him.

And Jake understood that he had asked so much of me, making me stay here. Undoubtedly, he appreciated my sacrifice and this helped make our relationship even stronger and more inseparable.

However, I have to find a way to distract myself during these minutes of waiting.

Or I'll end up going crazy, I'm sure!

I shake my head and sigh.

I walk over to Jake's laptop again, still resting on the rock surface. I look at the screen, carefully squaring that small black box, belonging to the executable programmed by Jake: the list of connected phone numbers has remained unchanged.

Second sigh of relief, emitted within seconds.

Thank God.

Okay, stay calm, everything will be fine.

I move my gaze to my left, running it to the rock wall. Thomas has reached the girls, who to integrate him have decided to lay in a circle, so that all three of them can look each other in the eye. They left an empty seat, which I think is reserved for me. Looking up at Jessy's face, I immediately get confirmation: she smiles broadly at me, waving at me to come closer and join them.

And I definitely don't make her repeat it twice; spending time in their company will surely reduce my apprehension about Jake.

I return her smile, trying to make an effort to not make it seem forced. I don't want to infect them with my anguish; they will have enough of that on their own.

So up the sides of my lips, and let's push worry away!

I pick up the computer, holding it up on one side with my right hand, while the other side is resting against my chest.

You will now come with me, my dear computer: I must remain vigilant at all times, keeping the situation monitored. Don't pull any tricks on me, mind you. All we miss is to see in live, a new mobile phone number connect to the network.

I think that my already rather strained heart would not survive the shock.

I catch up with the others and set the laptop on the ground, placing it in the center of the circle they have created. After sitting cross-legged, I turn it around so that the display is also visible to Jessy and Thomas, who are sitting to my right and left, respectively.

Three pairs of eyes are better than one.

"... And that's it. Now we're heading back to the parking lot where you left the cars." Dan's voice bursts muffled from the speakerphone of Jessy's phone. She must have momentarily disconnected the Bluetooth earbuds so that we could hear the call with Dan as well.

I raise an eyebrow, shaking my head, as if to imply to the rest of the group that I would like to know what they said to each other; their relaxed expressions, however, implicitly let me know that it's all okay.